electric clutch not engaging at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

p38fln

Reaction score
I have one of the few model years with the odd as hell electric clutch fan. Seems there's some kind of relay or heater or something that's supposed to make it kick on and off while idling. The problem i have is it works properly when cold (Ice cold AC, the fan cycles on and off) but once the engine warms up, the clutch stops engaging. The AC stops working and the temperature gauge will eventually peg the top of the gauge. I revved the engine up when this happened figuring I would hear a WHOOSH from the clutch fan but all I got was a very pissed off engine because I believe it started de-fueling itself to cool down. When I put it in drive and selected first gear, the clutch fan finally kicked on at about 3000 RPM and STAYED on for almost 5 minutes of highway driving.

Can I wedge a screw into the fan clutch so it just runs none-stop until I have the money to swap it out?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What year are you working on ? Before I stuck a screw in the clutch, I'd go get a fan clutch from a Gen2 and use it. Threads are the same.

OP
OP
P

p38fln

Reaction score
It's a 2007. Turns out part of the problem is a broken fan blade, but the clutch definitely gives up when it gets hot. I shorted the 'control' wire to ground and as long as the temperatures were relatively normal the fan would kick on and stay on, but with extended idling (like over 20 minutes) the stupid thing does exactly what it does under PCM control. Sounds like the clutch itself failed.

Everyone is out of stock of the stinking fans. My uncle has one that he found on a Ford Explorer with a V8 so I should be good there but it's 800 miles away. Do you know if the clutch off the Explorer is the same thread? The fan itself is identical and even Fordparts.com says they're the same part.