Electric Fan and towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Tom are you trying to make us blind!!!???
I can barely read your reply:Whoa:
The blue font is terrible :insane:
but thanks for the e-fan info

LOL....... sorry...

I found none of the colors easy to read when its that long but I changed it to bold Ravens purple!!!!!!

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Tom, I mis-spoke, if you have an e-fan and a mechanical fan that both move the same amount of air, the e-fan is going to require less "Power" (not air flow). So, sorry about the confusion.

As for the mechanical fan efficiency, it was mentioned in the article that was linked that the mechanical fan doesn't have to convert from mechanical to electrical, back to mechanical, therefore it is more efficient. Like I mentioned, that is not quite the case. Power out over power in is an accurate measure of efficiency. It doesn't matter how you get it from beginning to end, but how much in the end you can get out. The blades of a mechanical fan are very inefficient, making the overall operation of the mechanical fan inefficient. I liken that to having a pallet of bricks that you need to move from 1 point to another. You can move it brick by brick (the e-fan) or you can try pushing the whole pallet (mechanical fan). Both ways can work, but some ways are better than others.

Mindgame, enjoying your adventures out at Kaena Point? Looking at your pics, I have some very similar to yours when I had Nukie out there, playing in the mud. OH those were the days.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Tom, I mis-spoke, if you have an e-fan and a mechanical fan that both move the same amount of air, the e-fan is going to require less "Power" (not air flow). So, sorry about the confusion.

As for the mechanical fan efficiency, it was mentioned in the article that was linked that the mechanical fan doesn't have to convert from mechanical to electrical, back to mechanical, therefore it is more efficient. Like I mentioned, that is not quite the case. Power out over power in is an accurate measure of efficiency. It doesn't matter how you get it from beginning to end, but how much in the end you can get out. The blades of a mechanical fan are very inefficient, making the overall operation of the mechanical fan inefficient. I liken that to having a pallet of bricks that you need to move from 1 point to another. You can move it brick by brick (the e-fan) or you can try pushing the whole pallet (mechanical fan). Both ways can work, but some ways are better than others.

Mindgame, enjoying your adventures out at Kaena Point? Looking at your pics, I have some very similar to yours when I had Nukie out there, playing in the mud. OH those were the days.

Think we are on the same wavelength now! :)

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Roger that :) Albeit, every now and then, they close it off.. :head3:

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but......

I'm contemplating going over to e-fans at some point myself. I noticed the 2010 Expy has dual e-fans, and the radiator is similar in size, within half an inch. Did anyone try to retrofit this to the older Expy? I can imagine that those fans are specifically designed for the 5.4 engine and all that, plus they come in at under 200 bucks so for me this seems like a very nice option.

Mine is a '05 Expy EB with 5.4 and 4x4