22” to 20” wheels - better for towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are 22" tires in XL rating. I just put a set of Continentals on our Expedition...not that I do a lot of towing, but they came with that load rating.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are 22" tires in XL rating. I just put a set of Continentals on our Expedition...not that I do a lot of towing, but they came with that load rating.
XL rating makes the ride on the 22's uncomfortable. I have a set of Michellins with the same specs. I've had other 20's and 21's on other SUV's that were lighter but with roughly the same sidewall height and they were not nearly as bad, same tire (Michellin Defender LTX M/S) on all my trucks, only difference was XL rating.

crashkid1982

Reaction score
note that most F150 wheels will require the rear axle stubs to be trimmed off (with a sawzalll or whatever) or the dust caps won't fit in the rear wheels.
What is this about? Are talking about longer axles and the center caps that plug into the wheel??

Any guidance which wheels will fit/not fit?

Eyeing 18” (possibly even 17” raptor?) take-offs.

Those black XLT base seem to be the same as on the F150.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
XL rating makes the ride on the 22's uncomfortable. I have a set of Michellins with the same specs. I've had other 20's and 21's on other SUV's that were lighter but with roughly the same sidewall height and they were not nearly as bad, same tire (Michellin Defender LTX M/S) on all my trucks, only difference was XL rating.
You need XL (or LT range C) wheels to handle the GWVR of the expedition... It's the 39 PSI plus short sidewalls that makes a harsh ride. 275/65R18 run 35 psi.

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it were me, I would consider running the 20" wheel setup with 275/60/20 Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 tires. They are slightly taller than the factory tires with a bit more sidewall. I believe they have a slightly higher load rating 113H (2,535 lbs) vs 116H (2,756 lbs) while retaining the H speed rating.

If you're going to be towing a lot, I would even consider moving to an 18" wheel setup and use LT Load Range E 275/65/18 Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 tires.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have stock 22’s on my 19plat heavy tow pack. I wasn’t into the 22’s especially the horrible oem tires. 50,000 miles later I’ve decided I like the 22’s with the BFG Trail Terrain tires. The 22’s give it a more car ish sharper handling feel less squishy washy feel especially when towing. The BFG tires were a massive improvement in durability, wet and snow traction. The oem tires were arguably the worst all seasons I’ve ever had on a vehicle period regarding wet and snow traction.

The price point Ford has these at they should just shod them with a basic Michelin tire off the factory floor.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire