Electric fan anyone!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Everything Thermo stated pretty much the same setup I have...

This is how my setup look like :)

Attachments

• IMG_0395.jpg
    IMG_0395.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 321
OP
OP
AlexExpy

AlexExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alex, why worry about a shroud. A shroud is good if you are using the mechanical fan. But, with the e-fans, as long as you make sure that the fans are spaced so they cover from side to side, then you are good. The other important thing is making sure that you have atleast 3,000 cfm of air (both fans running). Under that, you risk not being able to provide enough cooling under the worst of conditions. If you have a blown Expy, then going with 4,000 or even 5,000 cfm would be recommended based on your overall power.

Thermo, you're probably right forget the shroud. The aluminum shroud won't be any good since it's only an inch thick and not a cone shape like the OEM shroud, it may do more harm then good.

So, here is what I'm going to be getting.

1/ Two Derale 14" curved fans
2/ Two Derale variable temp setting control relay with thermo sensor stick inside the radiator fins.

Is there any thing else I've missed.

BTW Thermo, where is a good switched 12V to use? What did you do in this case? TIA.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Alex, honestly, I tapped right into the fuse box to a constant 12 VDC line. I wanted to avoid possibly overloading a switch contact inside the ignition switch. Also, you will find that letting the fans run for a few seconds (15-20 normally) will help with engine survivability as you will be preventing some of the water in the motor from having to try to cool some of the extremely hot components. Besides, it gives the truck a really clean look like you never had a mechanical fan installed in the truck since there are no extra wires laying anywhere. I also hid the controllers on top of the radiator, hidden by the plastic cap for the radiator.

OP
OP
AlexExpy

AlexExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alex, honestly, I tapped right into the fuse box to a constant 12 VDC line. I wanted to avoid possibly overloading a switch contact inside the ignition switch. Also, you will find that letting the fans run for a few seconds (15-20 normally) will help with engine survivability as you will be preventing some of the water in the motor from having to try to cool some of the extremely hot components. Besides, it gives the truck a really clean look like you never had a mechanical fan installed in the truck since there are no extra wires laying anywhere. I also hid the controllers on top of the radiator, hidden by the plastic cap for the radiator.

Good points, straight from the battery it is for me too. I agree with letting the fan running a few minutes after the engine has been shut off is a good thing, the engine can get very hot on those Summer days.

ZuluBravoTango

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great Setup

So I have some simpleton questions here. How do you hook the fans to the radiator? Could someone show a pic of the therm placement in the radiator fins? And finally what diameter/type of wiring do you suggest for putting all this together with? I have heard that you have to have at least 3k cfm to do a sufficient job. Does this jive with what you believe? Thanks all.

ZuluBravoTango

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I ordered the Procomp electronics setup... should be here in 3-5 days and I will take some pics of the install... we will see, couldnt pass the price...
It was $73.95 out the door for the whole set up, 2 fans, thermo and all wiring and attachment hardware. 61q7R-FGeKL._SS400_.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlexExpy

AlexExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I ordered the Procomp electronics setup... should be here in 3-5 days and I will take some pics of the install... we will see, couldnt pass the price...
It was $73.95 out the door for the whole set up, 2 fans, thermo and all wiring and attachment hardware. 61q7R-FGeKL._SS400_.jpg

You're lucky bastard!:jawdrop: