Electric fan anyone!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlexExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thinking of installing an electric fan in front of the radiator for back up. Has anybody here done this before and what kit did you use? TIA.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Alex, I am running a dual Derali 14" fan set up in my truck. I tossed the mechanical fan all together. Gained about 6 hp and 8 ft-lbs of torque across the whole RPM band. Makes a nice change.

As for a kit, I made my own. Granted, I am an electronics tech by trade, so, wiring is something I do all day long. So, I saved myself a few bucks. The big thing that I will tell you to avoid are the "wire wound" temperature controllers. While they are cheap and work great for the first year, after that, plan on having lots and lots of issues with them. Go with one of the electronic controllers that has a relay associated with it. Costs a few more dollars, but it will probably outlast the truck.

If you want any more info, let me know.

OP
OP
AlexExpy

AlexExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alex, I am running a dual Derali 14" fan set up in my truck. I tossed the mechanical fan all together. Gained about 6 hp and 8 ft-lbs of torque across the whole RPM band. Makes a nice change.

As for a kit, I made my own. Granted, I am an electronics tech by trade, so, wiring is something I do all day long. So, I saved myself a few bucks. The big thing that I will tell you to avoid are the "wire wound" temperature controllers. While they are cheap and work great for the first year, after that, plan on having lots and lots of issues with them. Go with one of the electronic controllers that has a relay associated with it. Costs a few more dollars, but it will probably outlast the truck.

If you want any more info, let me know.

This is what I'm talking about! :)
Did you take any pictures of your mod, it would be great to see how it fits in there.
What part number of the 14" dual Derale fans did you use?
Did you use a variable temp control or a fixed temp setting? Single or dual stage speed?
6 HP gain is good, but I think you're being conservative. I felt like 25 HP from my Butt dyno when I converted to electric fan on my E39 530I BMW.:cheers:

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thermo.... can you ball park how much "your" setup cost.... might have to order it when you are in Rochester....lol

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Running dual 14" fans with dual separate controllers from Troyer performance.. Had it for 6+ years and only had to chang eone of the relays once so far... I also yanked out the clutch fan.. As for cost.. forgot exactly, but it maybe pricey for those on a budget...

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Alex, 6hp gain is assuming that both fans are running. Obviously, if the fans are not running, then you gain just that much more. As for me setup, take a look in the attachments. As you see, it opens up the front of the engine very nicely and makes changing the serpentine belt super easy. Granted, accessing anything on the front of the engine is now super easy. I am running dual fully adjustable controllers. So, I can set the temps to whatever I want. In my case, I have the controllers set up about 5-10 degrees apart and I have indicating lights on the dash. I did this so I can keep an eye on how hard I am pushing the truck and if I need to take it a bit easier. I have never had both fans kick on for me other than the 1 time I was in Atlanta in 100F weather with the A/C blowing full blast and a module that decided it didn't want to play. Other than that, a single fan was all that I have ever needed.

Walnuts, If you want to do it when I am in Rochester, let me know. It isn't all that hard to do. Now, I did go a bit more on the expensive route as I spent about $300 on my setup. But then, I also routed the power through the factory fuse box (so no extra wires off of the battery) and I used dual controllers.

Attachments

• fanmod.jpg
    fanmod.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 405
OP
OP
AlexExpy

AlexExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you Thermo! Love all the room you've now. I think this mod is a must. OK, so dual 14" curved fans here I come.

Question. Does anybody make an aluminum fan shroud for the dual 14" fans?

OP
OP
AlexExpy

AlexExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Radiator Dimensions

Does Anyone know the dimension of an 05 radiator? I really want to know this in order to get an aluminum radiator shroud.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Alex, why worry about a shroud. A shroud is good if you are using the mechanical fan. But, with the e-fans, as long as you make sure that the fans are spaced so they cover from side to side, then you are good. The other important thing is making sure that you have atleast 3,000 cfm of air (both fans running). Under that, you risk not being able to provide enough cooling under the worst of conditions. If you have a blown Expy, then going with 4,000 or even 5,000 cfm would be recommended based on your overall power.