Electric Fans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was wondering if anybody on here with the 03-06 Expys had some E-Fans installed? I want to put some on my truck, but want to get an idea of how everyone is mounting them on these trucks. Let me know. Thanks

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a Mark VIII fan install in mine for a while. I just drilled 4 holes in the plastic shroud, and used 4 plastic fan zip ties to hold it through the radiator. Most of the weight, though, was rested on the bottom lip of the radiator.

If you really wanted to, you could make brackets for it, and hold it that way.

I had to take it down, though, since my DC controller (it was the one with a P in the name) failed (maybe from the water?) and I almost overheated the Expy. Then, it just defaulted to being on all the time, so I just took it out. Once it was back in, though, you could tell the clutch fan was on, since it seemed to rev slower. Also, it opened up the engine bay quite a bit.

Last edited:

af mezkin

Reaction score
I have two 14" fans from troyer performance; I made all the brackets and "L" angles to mount them and saved a alot of $$$$.

boiler71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Although a little pricey at $465, my plan was to install the Flexalite 270 (same kit used in the 97-2003 F150s) kit in my wife's 04. However...in Ford's infinite wisdom, they used the 4.6L radiator setup (downflow) in my 5.4L Expy. 4.6L radiator, aside from being a downflow vs crossflow, is taller and narrower.

Ended up switching to a Flexalite model 295. Works like a CHAMP and wife said she noticed a difference in get-up-and-go. Can't wait to see how much get-up-and-go that Lightning supercharger is going to add!!

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i was wondering the same thing for the 1st gens. i want to do one. i know someone has one done. wht works the best?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
excuse my ignorance on the subject, but what is the goal of the electric fans? cooling down temps?

rptr00

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it allows you to remove the mechanical clutch fan from the front of your motor. You will see increased cooling capabilities as well as better fuel economy and a slight performance gain. I think they claim around 10HP.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Ian from Xtreme 4X4 picked up 1.1 mpg on a full size Dodge pickup by adding the e-fan.

I planned to do this to my truck this summer but, to be honest, I've been focusing on the new Ducati, so the truck has taken a back seat.

Last edited:

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thats where i got my idea from. hey 1 mpg is 1 mpg. and on a 30 gal tank thats an extra 30 miles.