Electrical issue need help asap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JOlsen

Reaction score
ok here’s the scenario. Last night driving home my fuel gauge dropped to empty and low fuel light came on. I know it isn’t low because I filled up less then 2 days ago. Just in case I stopped and tried to fill up and got 2 gallons in before it was full. So I know there’s gas. Now today I looked under to make sure the harness was connected well and the black/orange tracer wire in the plug was smoking hot. Does anyone have a diagram they can show me of what this wires normal state is supposed to be so I can try and trace the issue. Or anyone else had this problem... HELP

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like your sending unit is overheating due to a short. I'll send a pic of schematic if I can.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Best way to check for a possible hot wire that is grounded is to take ur voltage tester put the black wire on the negative post of the battery and then the red wire on a known ground. Your tester will let u no if u have a hot ground or not by showing voltage or no voltage on you tester. Good luck!!

OP
OP
J

JOlsen

Reaction score
I have verified that the black/orange tracer is at rest ground. But when the vehicle is running it it sending power back down that line from the pump side.

Plati

Reaction score
Still need help guys pls
What is your vehicle … year … model … engine?
Where is that connector you refer to?

Is it possible to buy a wiring diagram and or shop manual?
Where is best place for that, a manual in this case could pay for itself!

not sure if this applies to your vehicle … this is 2003 Expy
theres a blk/org for fuel pump motor?
Untitled.jpg

instclu.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JOlsen

Reaction score
99 5.4 rwd. I have the Haynes manual but according to that it shows black/orange as a ground which it is at rest but when on the vehicle side stays ground and the pump side goes 12v. I have a new sending unit ready to be installed this weekend

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

JOlsen

Reaction score
Now after reading your diagram it appears the vlack/orange should be + so any help in figuring this problem out would be helpful

OP
OP
J

JOlsen

Reaction score
I should also add. The truck runs and drives fine that wire seemed to be the only thing wrong, and the fact that tanks full and it says low fuel on dash

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The majority of grounds on this vehicle are solid black.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk