Electrical issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike C

Reaction score
Hello

I have a 2005 expedition. Over the past month i have been experiencing a dead battery issue.

Early September i was due to have my battery replaced. I bought the optima yellow top battery. Sometime in December i had trouble starting my truck. The repair Shop had the alternator replaced. Week after the new alternator, went out to the truck -- no start. Brought the battery to get tested and was somehow no good after only a few months. Had the battery replaced. Everything was fine until this morning where once again... my battery was dead. I have remote start in my vehicle and I am wondering if that may be the source of the issue.

Does anyone have an idea of what could be the problem?

Plati

Reaction score
Lots of possibilities. Here's one. I put in a new alternator once and it was BAD right out of the box. Maybe yours was also? It allowed the battery to run down and then the battery froze ruining it? Lots of other scenario's. Maybe the guy who tested the battery and said it was bad, was wrong?

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We once had the rear DVD player stick and stay on when you shut the Expy down.It would kill the battery over night.It happened about 3 times then self healed never found out the cause.If it is running try pulling the fuse.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Read the stickies in the Electrical Section.....

You have a parasitic draw that kills the battery over time. In English that means something isn't turning off when you turn the vehicle off.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stamp where have you been? Got worried about you and Habbibie. All ok?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Mike C

Reaction score
Thank you for all the help. Had to bring it to the shop to diagnose the problem and here is what we found: The back windshield wiper motor failed to go in the "parked" position. Even though i had the back windshield wiper in the off position on my dash, it was still drawing 7 amps from my battery causing it to die over night. The shop quoted me about $400 to fix the wiper motor, I had them pull the fuse. The electrical diagnostic and to pull the fuse was $200.
Having the peace of mind knowing my truck will start in the morning is priceless :)

Plati

Reaction score
A common problem with Expy's is that bushing through the rear window crud's up and motor cant turn wiper. I've had to disassemble and clean/lube 3 times on my 2003 (so far).

no cost repair !!

IF this is the problem, your vehicle may have a different situation goin on

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A decent Fluke Digital Multimeter off ebay @$80
Free lessons from the members on here on how to use it: $0.00

Extra $120 in your pocket is "priceless"......

Everything is fine Moose, just staying in the shadows for a while.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good to hear. We miss you out there. I don't see Habbibie any more either. What's the dog count up to? Over 20 yet? I'm a big dog lover too. That's a good thing your doing for those 4 legged guys.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We're "down" to 22 at the moment. I lost our chiweenie to what I feel was aggressive playing with our lab mix Charlie while we out running errands. Came home and she was stiff with two deep gashes in her neck, very little blood in the wounds. No other signs of trauma to her body. I'm guessing he shook her like they shake rats when they catch them. The pack is usually playing in the house running from one end to the other when we are home. Hoping that it was the case this time, just got out of hand.
The little sheet is caged with our big Labradoodle Toby any time we leave now. If he wants to act up, Toby will have a snack.
We picked up 2 more pups recently - an Australian Shepard mix(Joey) and a pit mix (Micky Blue) at our local Walmart's within the last month. Freebies.

Last edited: