electronic locker problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonPaul

Reaction score
I have a 2019 4wd with tow package, 70k miles. Occasionally i get a shuddering feeling and grinding sound when taking a tight turn after slowing down or going over bumps. Recently on one occasion i drug the inside tire while backing into my driveway while turning. Is anyone having issues with the e-locker locking up when it should not? No CEL or other issues. Dealer says they don't see anything wrong, but could pull the rear end to inspect.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My understanding of the way this rear "locker" works is that it needs a constant voltage to "lock". It would seem odd that this could happen. Usually, when this type of thing goes bad it just stops working. I think this would be hard to diagnose if the issue isn't happening at the time of inspection. If somehow voltage were getting into the wires when the button isn't pressed you could see that with a meter when the issue was occurring.
Is it possible it isn't a locker issue and maybe a brake issue? A stuck caliper causing the drag?

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2019 4wd with tow package, 70k miles. Occasionally i get a shuddering feeling and grinding sound when taking a tight turn after slowing down or going over bumps. Recently on one occasion i drug the inside tire while backing into my driveway while turning. Is anyone having issues with the e-locker locking up when it should not? No CEL or other issues. Dealer says they don't see anything wrong, but could pull the rear end to inspect.
This locker has clutches and a hydraulic actuator presses on them to lock the two wheels. The system has many small components.

Ford still requires a friction modifier to be added to the gear oil. I would first try a fluid change with a bottle of friction modifier and see what happens. It is a very easy job!

OP
OP
JonPaul

JonPaul

Reaction score
My understanding of the way this rear "locker" works is that it needs a constant voltage to "lock". It would seem odd that this could happen. Usually, when this type of thing goes bad it just stops working. I think this would be hard to diagnose if the issue isn't happening at the time of inspection. If somehow voltage were getting into the wires when the button isn't pressed you could see that with a meter when the issue was occurring.
Is it possible it isn't a locker issue and maybe a brake issue? A stuck caliper causing the drag?
Definitely intermittent issue. Dealer suspected brake drag so we just did a rear brake service. Will see if that helps.

OP
OP
JonPaul

JonPaul

Reaction score
This locker has clutches and a hydraulic actuator presses on them to lock the two wheels. The system has many small components.

Ford still requires a friction modifier to be added to the gear oil. I would first try a fluid change with a bottle of friction modifier and see what happens. It is a very easy job!
good point. I'll do the fluid change w/ friction modifier next if not resolved. thanks.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For clarity. There is NO Locker in the 4th Gen Expeditions. It is a simulated locker. If you have the ELSD(Electronic Limited Slip Differential), there is a lock button, but it is a simulated lock via electronically actuated clutches. The F150/F250 ELocker is actually a pin locker.

The Expeditions default, no power position is Unlocked. As in no clutch pressure, and completely open. With out power being applied to the actuator it defaults to not engaged. Now the actuator could have gotten "stuck" engaged, but that is rare, as it's default non energized position is open.

If it is always the same wheel dragging most likely is brake related. Was the wheel center getting hot?

OP
OP
JonPaul

JonPaul

Reaction score
If it is always the same wheel dragging most likely is brake related. Was the wheel center getting hot?
It's only visibly laid rubber while dragging a tire on my driveway once. Hopefully never again! The shuddering and grinding noise has happened in both left and right hand turns. mostly when on a hill or over bumps.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's only visibly laid rubber while dragging a tire on my driveway once. Hopefully never again! The shuddering and grinding noise has happened in both left and right hand turns. mostly when on a hill or over bumps.
OK. Any tire size differential left to right?

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe hook up a Scan Tool and see if there are any discrepancies between the wheel sensors running a test.