Electronics shorted by windshield tinting water?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
is this pyramid looking thing that gets its electronics wet the part? (View attachment 80421
I believe that's part of the rain sensing system for the wipers, but some vehicles have those sensors on the back of the rear view mirror as well. But no, the concern isn't that little guy. There are dozens of modules in the dash, in fact I just saw someone on here asking about one that requires you to essentially remove the entire dash to replace (someone posted some diagrams and looked insane to replace). I found several related to the audio, alarm, and others. I'd also be concerned about water (depending on how much they use) eventually making it's way into climate control systems, corroding electrical connections if it doesn't dry fast enough, etc.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why tint a Windshield?
Same reason you tint the other windows. In the specific case of the windshield it minimizes UV on dash and, additionally, keeps the vehicle cooler. Only downside I can see is it's money lost if your windshield is ever cracked and needs to be replaced.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same reason you tint the other windows. In the specific case of the windshield it minimizes UV on dash and, additionally, keeps the vehicle cooler. Only downside I can see is it's money lost if your windshield is ever cracked and needs to be replaced.

On late model vehicles the front windshield blocks 94% of UVA from the factory wherein the sides (and rear on cars) do not. So you're not really gaining anything in terms of UV protection. You're getting some light reduction of course, but you're also significantly reducing visibility since you have now blocked off the only means of light transmission. Also, HI, OH and ND are the only 2 states that allow tinting more than 6" down from the top and they require 70% light transmission. LEOs usually don't care too much about side/rear tint unless it's below 15% tint, but windshield tint is looked upon very harshly and is almost a certain ticket if you get stopped.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On late model vehicles the front windshield blocks 94% of UVA from the factory wherein the sides (and rear on cars) do not. So you're not really gaining anything in terms of UV protection. You're getting some light reduction of course, but you're also significantly reducing visibility since you have now blocked off the only means of light transmission. Also, HI, OH and ND are the only 2 states that allow tinting more than 6" down from the top and they require 70% light transmission. LEOs usually don't care too much about side/rear tint unless it's below 15% tint, but windshield tint is looked upon very harshly and is almost a certain ticket if you get stopped.
Interesting information about the windshield blocking 94% of UVA. Thanks, if windshield ever needs replacing I may not tint that one. However, I think the use of "tint" to describe the ceramic film used on the windshield is not accurate. I cannot tell my windshield has "tint" on it. It is not dark, does not prevent anyone from seeing in, does not make it difficult to view out. I have no concerns about getting a ticket if stopped but appreciate your response.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whether I'm gaining or not gaining is a question. However, I feel a significant reduction in heat with Llumar Air blue 80 on my windshield.
It is relatively clear and blocks 99% of UV rays and rejects 43% of the heat that hits my windshield. You can't even tell the windshield is tinted, but it does work, so there is no reduction in visibility, especially at night. But it sure significantly reduces that nasty Florida glare.

bocabimmer

Reaction score
On the Bimmer forums, we had a member who did have his windshield tinted and water damaged the instrument cluster and possibly some of the head unit electronics. It was bad. I don’t recall if the tint shop took ownership of their negligence or if they went through insurance.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got my 2021 Ford Explorer's windshield tinted with Llumar Air Blue 80 with no issues.
Since there was so much concern about electrical shorting, I asked my tech about it.
He said the only way something like that would happen is if the tech installing the film does not know how to install window film properly on a windshield.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got my 2021 Ford Explorer's windshield tinted with Llumar Air Blue 80 with no issues.
Since there was so much concern about electrical shorting, I asked my tech about it.
He said the only way something like that would happen is if the tech installing the film does not know how to install window film properly on a windshield.

As I said above, they should only be using distilled water. If they're using tap, they're hacks.