Engine Break-in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon Joe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any recommendations? I'll be driving my new truck 4 hours home this Saturday.
Thanks!

@Yukon Joe

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I drove mine 4 hours to Houston and back the week I got it. Just vary your speed occasionally (don’t set the cruise and stay there forever) and try not to get over 5k rpm (or was it 4k?...I don’t remember which).

Essentially you don’t want to overtax the engine and you don’t want it running at a constant speed for a continuous period. Oh, and don’t tow with it.

Once you hit 1000 miles you’re feee to do whatever you please. I dropped the hammer the instant I hit 1000 miles.

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure what Ford's definition is for 'too fast', but this is from the 2018 Owner's Manual:

BREAKING-IN

You need to break in new tires for approximately 300 mi (480 km). During this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics.

Avoid driving too fast during the first 1,000 mi (1,600 km). Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine.

Do not tow during the first 1,000 mi (1,600 km).

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase, did u get the one you took home or are you getting a different one. Mines took about 3-4k miles and a road trip bow the gas is where i expected and the transmissions smooth as butter all the time(except reversing, it clunks into reverse gear still)

OP
OP
Yukon Joe

Yukon Joe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found this on the F-150 forum this morning.

From the 2018 Manual (and no it's not engine specific):
BREAKING-IN
You need to break in new tires for
approximately 300 mi (480 km). During
this time, your vehicle may exhibit some
unusual driving characteristics.
Avoid driving too fast during the first
1,000 mi (1,600 km). Vary your speed
frequently and change up through the
gears early. Do not labor the engine.
Do not tow during the first 1,000 mi
(1,600 km).

@dlcorbett
No, not getting the limited we test drove. Dealer said those were not for sale anyway, But we wanted a max, fx4, and heavy duty tow. The one we test drove was neither of those.

I'll be picking up a pearly white tomorrow. Dealer pics to come, lol. And a proper introduction thread.

@Yukon Joe

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And, yes, the "thou shalt not tow for 1000 miles" commandment is given any place you look in the documentation (in the break in section, in the towing section, in the towing supplement, and even in the towing guide). We had to take a lot of road trips in May.

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found this on the F-150 forum this morning.

From the 2018 Manual (and no it's not engine specific):
BREAKING-IN
You need to break in new tires for
approximately 300 mi (480 km). During
this time, your vehicle may exhibit some
unusual driving characteristics.
Avoid driving too fast during the first
1,000 mi (1,600 km). Vary your speed
frequently and change up through the
gears early. Do not labor the engine.
Do not tow during the first 1,000 mi
(1,600 km).

@dlcorbett
No, not getting the limited we test drove. Dealer said those were not for sale anyway, But we wanted a max, fx4, and heavy duty tow. The one we test drove was neither of those.

I'll be picking up a pearly white tomorrow. Dealer pics to come, lol. And a proper introduction thread.

@Yukon Joe

You must not have seen post #4 above...too funny

benyl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My sales guy said the engines are broken in at the factory. Not sure if that is true. The engine in my E63 which is hand assembled certainly wasn't and required a 1000 mile easy break-in with nothing over 4K rpm. Not sure what to do on this Expy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcason94