Engine cut out engine light flashing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
My 05 did this a few times due to a faulty TPS. Replaced the throttle body and it never happened again. Not sure if the Ecoboost motors have this concern. My 2017 has never done this to compare.

Steve Beckman

Reaction score
I have a 2015 XLT and experienced the same issue when I was towing my travel trailer through some hills in central Utah. The code turned out to be a P0303 which was for a misfire. I was able to stop a few times and the light went off, but then would come back on when I was really pushing the engine to get up a hill. I was able to find a shop and we replaced all the plugs and the coil pack for #3. That resolved the issue. The guy changing the plugs said #3 actually felt loose. I only had about 20k miles on that set. The shop used NGK 97177 plugs which I see are gapped at 0.032

One related question about driving while the Check Engine Light is flashing. I've seen other posts that mention that is dumping fuel and will kill the Catalytic Convertor. Anyone have any idea how long would that take to actually kill it? Also, if I drove it long enough in that state is the Cat degraded in that it is impacting my current performance? Anyway to test it?

Michael McC

Reaction score
My '03 and my '16 both had throttle body problems. Misfired a few times before throwing a code. I had to pull off to the side and restart once or twice.

Snidley53

Reaction score
Just got back from Colorado towing our travel trailer and everything went fine until a coil pack went bad on I-70 near Fulton Mo. Got towed to the Ford dealer there including the trailer and we camped for three days cause they also found my water pump was leaking and I told them to get it fixed. Not the way we wanted to end the trip but the people at Fulton Ford were really great to deal with and made sure we had what we needed supplying electrical power for the RV and letting us fill the fresh water tank. Did I pay more than I wanted yeah probably but the customer service they provided made it bearable for the wife and I.

HavasuMike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The same thing has happened twice to me with my 2016. I keep meaning to check the codes if there are any. I forgot about it but now, after seeing your post, I will check it out.

Carl kline

Reaction score
i have had the same issue with my o7 but it does it every time i floor it. I also have an issue that when it is warm out it may take 3x cranking to start but quit when it got cold out. would the be the tps i have only had it for 5 months and changed coils and cam sensors and fuel filter getting ready for plugs once i get a kit for removing them incase they dont come out in one piece.

Utah Driver

Reaction score
When the TPS goes out the "wrench" light comes on, the vehicle drops to a couple of miles per hour in de-rate. Mine went out at 40,000 miles on my 16' ecoboost.