Engine Knocking/Ticking Noise Normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CatchMe

Reaction score
Mine has been at the dealer now for 24 days... Heres the tech and I doing a startup. They are replacing the cam phasers to start. 2018 XLT 2wd w 21000 miles.

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine has been at the dealer now for 24 days... Heres the tech and I doing a startup. They are replacing the cam phasers to start. 2018 XLT 2wd w 21000 miles.

Mine sounds exactly like yours. Cam phaser startup rattle and all. Let us know what they do to fix yours.

I just attribute the cam phaser noise on cold startup to the fact that there isn't any oil pumping around them. They don't make any noise on a warm engine start. I also thought the rattling afterwards is the brackets on the wastegate actuators. Mine also stop that noise once things are warmed up. I'm at 16k miles. Noticed the cam phasers around 14k. Haven't taken it in as I haven't seen an actual fix yet. Just a bunch of guesses that only seem to be a temporary fix.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score

This is exactly cam phasers. Not the same as what OP is hearing along with several other ppl on here that know exactly what they are hearing is the HPFP

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After posting I went out and listened while waiting for the wife.
If you are standing directly in front of the truck one can’t hear it over the fan, move to the passenger side you can slightly hear it from about 3 feet away, on the drivers side one needs to bend down near the tire to hear it.

CatchMe

Reaction score
UPDATE: Along with the cam phasers, they have determined I have a bad turbo. They are going to replace one of the Turbo assemblies. Phasers are on back order along with the turbo unit.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gezz you guys. My '16 has almost 30K and so quiet sometimes I forget it's running while it is warming up or sitting idle at a jobsite. The loudest thing is the electric cooling fans when they kick on high speed. But it gets 3K oil changes religiously with Motorcraft Semi Synth, Motorcraft filter, has a catch can and is only fed Shell V-Power premium gasoline.

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gezz you guys. My '16 has almost 30K and so quiet sometimes I forget it's running while it is warming up or sitting idle at a jobsite. The loudest thing is the electric cooling fans when they kick on high speed. But it gets 3K oil changes religiously with Motorcraft Semi Synth, Motorcraft filter, has a catch can and is only fed Shell V-Power premium gasoline.
None of that should make any difference so as to whether or not an engine makes ticking sounds. Plus, the amount of money that you will spend in five to six years of ownership for the shell v-power premium is enough money to buy a decent old work truck.
It's just a sad world in which we live.

TJ Toronto

Reaction score
I had a very similar noise once with my expedition. Took it back to the garage, turns out they had put the wrong oil filter on during the previous oil change. Which was about 1-2 weeks prior to me returning to the garage.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357