Engine Knocking/Ticking Noise Normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi,

New to the Forum. 2018 Expedition XLT.

Noticed a knocking noise 2-3 weeks ago.
Took to dealership was told this is normal for the 3.5L Ecoboost that all of them make a similar noise some are louder then others.

Now this could be normal just never noticed before. Here to confirm.

27000 on the truck. I purchased Certified at 22,000.
Engine at idle, after warmed up. Don't really notice on a cold start.

Here is the link for youtube.

2016 platinum EL 4x4 purchased new now has 40,000 miles and its tuned

2016 limited non el 4x2 purchased used now has 48000 miles and is not tuned. Both make this noise. All is normal

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 doesn't do what the OP posted in their video. Ever....

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SO now we are to accept engine noises, expensive repairs under 150K on 60K vehicles.
I'll keep my town cars or my 03-04 Navigator. So quiet you can forget they are running. The way a luxury or any car for that matter should be.
Regularly 250K and never a valve cover off.
I specifically stayed 03 or 04 to NOT have 3v and not 06 to stay away from the 6 sp trans.

Beckta10

Reaction score
I also noticed this noise shortly after purchasing my 2017. Much like you I researched it and discovered it’s normal. It’s frequently blamed on the direct injection fuel pump.

My vehicle has been at the dealer for repairs a lot. I ended up switching dealers because the first one always seemed to hand me back my vehicle with a new problem. When I arrived at the second dealer I explained all the trouble I had been having and asked them to fix a number of things along with general direction to fix anything else it needs because, let’s be honest, I’m not a Ford mechanic and never will be so they ought to know best. Anyway, long story short, a number of repairs were made, including a driver side turbo, but this clicking was never mentioned by them as being a problem. It’s been back since for oil changes and a couple other non-powertrain things and it still hasn’t come up.

I should mention that I understand many people don’t trust the dealer or any shop for that matter, my self included, but this is one of two shops that have earned my trust. The other is a Toyota shop my family has used for the Toyota vehicles we’ve owned. The point of all this is to say that I trust if this was an issue that my ford dealer would have dealt with it.

Hope that makes you feel better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also noticed this noise shortly after purchasing my 2017. Much like you I researched it and discovered it’s normal. It’s frequently blamed on the direct injection fuel pump.

My vehicle has been at the dealer for repairs a lot. I ended up switching dealers because the first one always seemed to hand me back my vehicle with a new problem. When I arrived at the second dealer I explained all the trouble I had been having and asked them to fix a number of things along with general direction to fix anything else it needs because, let’s be honest, I’m not a Ford mechanic and never will be so they ought to know best. Anyway, long story short, a number of repairs were made, including a driver side turbo, but this clicking was never mentioned by them as being a problem. It’s been back since for oil changes and a couple other non-powertrain things and it still hasn’t come up.

I should mention that I understand many people don’t trust the dealer or any shop for that matter, my self included, but this is one of two shops that have earned my trust. The other is a Toyota shop my family has used for the Toyota vehicles we’ve owned. The point of all this is to say that I trust if this was an issue that my ford dealer would have dealt with it.

Hope that makes you feel better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like I said, HPFP pumps at almost 2200 psi. Youre going to hear that.. but unfortunately there are some ppl that think if it’s louder than a hybrid, there’s something wrong with it

WrekEE

Reaction score
Research cam phasers on the F150's. My friends F150 platinum had cam phasers replaced.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Research cam phasers on the F150's. My friends F150 platinum had cam phasers replaced.
I posted a video of that a few posts up. Cam phasers are heard directly after startup and is a rattle or chatter. All the OP is hearing is the HPFP, totally normal

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 17 Camaro SS does that but maybe not as pronounced. In my case it’s the DFI causing the noise but my Expy runs a lot quieter but only have 3k miles on it. I’m sure it will be louder as time goes by.