Engine Knocking/Ticking Noise Normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daviddsims

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Limited Expedition and at around 40,000 miles mine started sounding like cans clunking when I start it cold and a little louder running. 3rd time to shop for same noise that never stopped and now they tell me today it’s something internal in the engine and it’s safe to drive until they can get all the parts. Apparently there is a delay in receiving parts because of all the Corona shutdowns. I am happy it’s covered but a little nervous the engine is about to be taken apart on a car that cost this much and is still not very old. I see others on this thread not getting answers so I wanted to share. The 2nd time we we took it in they claimed it was because I didn’t have a Ford oil filter when I got oil changed.

Same here, bought Certified with 40k miles and noticed the sound the first morning. Waiting on parts at dealer in TX.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same here, bought Certified with 40k miles and noticed the sound the first morning. Waiting on parts at dealer in TX.
The odds of this starting the first morning of ownership is possible but the odds are astronomical. It’s far too common for people to hear this issue upon first start in the morning and not experience it throughout the rest of the day. I can imagine a dealer running this motor each morning to avoid having to fix this warranty issue and having that repair show up on a car fax report giving a potential buyer more leveraging power.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The odds of this starting the first morning of ownership is possible but the odds are astronomical. It’s far too common for people to hear this issue upon first start in the morning and not experience it throughout the rest of the day. I can imagine a dealer running this motor each morning to avoid having to fix this warranty issue and having that repair show up on a car fax report giving a potential buyer more leveraging power.
Oh yes. They certainly knew it. Was probably the reason it was traded in.

PhrogPilot

Reaction score
We got into he Cam Phasers backorder issue too with our 2018 Expedition. Unfortunately we were 1100 miles from home and pulling our trailer. The dealer gave us a loaner but we had to proceed with our travels. “No, you cannot tow with the loaner and no you cannot leave Iowa with the loaner.” Rental car companies won’t let you tow either. Dewey Ford in Ankeny, Iowa took good care of us by selling us a new 2019 at sticker and giving us a virtual bloodbath on our trade (thanks for nothing guys) and Corporate Ford was worth less than nothing for assistance. Oh well, we were going to have to put on new tires when we got home and the rear wiper was streaking a little so we saved big $$$$ there. They told us the 2019s won’t have the cam phaser issue so we have that to hang our hat on too. Boerne Ford in Boerne, TX set us up nicely by telling us it was OK to drive and take on the trip in spite of the Check Engine light coming on with the code for Retarded Cam Timing Bank 1. A big shout out to that “not so hot” service department too. Their advice was, “reset the light, change your oil (even though it was still at 76%) and have a great time.” Anyway, if you hear a sound that makes you think you might be driving a diesel powered Expedition on startup, you may have a cam phaser problem.

Follow-up: Our 2019 Expedition with 16,700 miles on it just started the Cam Phaser rattle this week. Have an appointment to take it in next week. Service Dept said cam phasers shouldn’t be back ordered any longer. Has anyone else started having the issue with their 2019? I know it is pretty much a given to happen to the 2018s but I was hoping 2019s were immune. Definitely gonna give GM a good look when it’s time. Sad because otherwise I really like the Fords.

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 makes minor ticking noises right after start up, last a few seconds then goes away. From everything I've read, pretty common and associated with the cam phasers. Ford says "it's not a defect but rather a feature"... just kidding, they didn't say that but might as well ;).

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Follow-up: Our 2019 Expedition with 16,700 miles on it just started the Cam Phaser rattle this week. Have an appointment to take it in next week. Service Dept said cam phasers shouldn’t be back ordered any longer. Has anyone else started having the issue with their 2019? I know it is pretty much a given to happen to the 2018s but I was hoping 2019s were immune. Definitely gonna give GM a good look when it’s time. Sad because otherwise I really like the Fords.

What is the build date listed on your door plate? Another member mentioned that the 2019’s prior to April 8th are still susceptible.

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I posted a video of that a few posts up. Cam phasers are heard directly after startup and is a rattle or chatter. All the OP is hearing is the HPFP, totally normal

Just to clarify...that video posted was timing chain slap from the problematic tensioners. Cam phasers make noise while running and warmed up, not at start up.