engine swaps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pdmcneil

Reaction score
New here but long time working on cars. I've looked through many threads here and see a lot of 'shock and gore' stories about the 5.4, plugs (have already experienced that) cam phasers, etc. One thing I haven't seen but maybe jussed missed, is talk of engine swaps. I had a '95 E150 Conversion van with 351/c6, I'd love to have that setup in my '06 Exp. I know it's involved, but with the $$ I've seen people throw around talking about fixing or replacing a 5.4, it would be worth it.
The more I read the more intrigued I am so I'll be asking other questions too. Go ahead and tell me I'm an idiot, I like that better than being ignored....

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Getting it to bolt up and fire up is probably not too difficult, though it may involve a custom drive shaft or output adapter on the transmission in order to connect it to the drivetrain, depending on if it's 2wd or 4wd. The other thing is that most of the systems in the truck won't work, I doubt even the instrument cluster would work. You'd have to custom build all that stuff in order to make it run, or somehow get the PCM to run the 351 by custom tuning it after mounting all necessary sensors on it, which is probably not gonna be easy either... If you go for this, you've got your work cut out for you, that's for sure.. I hope you know how to program PCM's :)

OP
OP
P

pdmcneil

Reaction score
Agreed, the hardest part would probably getting the stuff outside the engine alone to cooperate. The driveshaft, ignition, headers etc could be done, but making the rest play together = no fun. With that said, are you aware of anyone who has done anything along these lines?

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A mutual friend of mine spent a few years putting a modular 4.6L engine in a Fox body mustang that came with a 302 because "they said it couldn't be done". Everything was custom: Wiring, exhaust, engine mounts, computer hardware and software, transmission mounts, cooling hoses, fuel tank/pump/lines, cables, steering system and linkages, vacuum system, brake booster, etc - you name it.

He half-jokingly says the only thing reused was the antifreeze. What he ended up with was a kinda-fast Fox body that isn't worth 1/16 of whats in it.

So what you want to do is the opposite, which logically would require the same amount of custom fab work and tons of dough.

I believe the stock 1995 E150 van 5.8L was good for 200 or 210HP and just over 300 ft/lbs torque. The 5.4L, stock 1999-2004, was rated at 260HP and 355 ft/lbs torque. That in and of itself should talk you out of this.

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That would be a royal pia just on the electronics side. If you are really set on doing this source a 96 or newer just for the obd-II setup. Or just build a good 5.4 w/o all the fancy nonsense, hd trans and don't look back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pdmcneil

Reaction score
Good points, all. I figured it was a pipe dream. Thanks for the opinions. I'll keep askin' n learnin'

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe the stock 1995 E150 van 5.8L was good for 200 or 210HP and just over 300 ft/lbs torque. The 5.4L, stock 1999-2004, was rated at 260HP and 355 ft/lbs torque.

And the '05 up had 300 HP with "all the fancy stuff". To be honest, there aren't so many bad things with this engine if taken well care of. If I was gonna put a lot of money into a custom engine, I'd rather fix the weaknesses in the 3V engine, than to spend money on an oldschool engine. There is a company that makes metal chain guides and chain tensioners, and a high performance oil pump. The phasers has been updated, as well as the VCT solenoids, but you can also just lock out the phasers and never have to deal with them again.