Engine Ticking Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jourdan18

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2005 Expedition, King Ranch. There is a ticking sounds everytime while the engine is running. It sounds like it's coming form the back of the engine or close to the firewall, sounds like a lifter ticking. Should I add half a quart of tranny fluid in the engine and hope that the detergent in the ATF gets rid of the ticking sound? Any suggestions or similar issues encountered?

OP
OP
J

jourdan18

Reaction score
The sound is consistent on idle or high RPMs. I thought it was an exhaust leak and brought it to the shop and there wasn't any exhaust leak. Any experts on lifters, rockers, timing chain noises?

rcreecer

Reaction score
Engine noises should vary with RPM. Did you check your oil level? If you don't have a mechanic's stethoscope, you can use a ~ 3' piece of garden hose. Does it do it all the time, or only when parked/at a stop?

05Bandit

Reaction score
cam phaser

My wifes 05 EB makes a ticking noises i thought it was a lifter rattling. Turned out it was a cam phaser. Apparently its a common issue with them ticking and its not a cheap fix. Its located on the end of the cam. And when it wears out it start to tick. I have found a do it yourself on the internet but have not tackled the job yet. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
J

jourdan18

Reaction score
@RCreecer, the sound is constant, parked, stop, driving, and the noise stays the same. I'm getting it checked today. @05Bandit, I think you are right about the cam since the noise is on top of the engine and close to the firewall. I will let everybody updated tonight on what my shop finds out. Thanks guys.

Crdmiami

Reaction score
Yeah it's probably the cam phaser my truck has it too and all the expeditions I have seen with over 50-60k have that problem I am just riding it out the noise doesn't bother me to much does any one know If it's bad not to fix? What could happen if I continue driving it like this.

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a TSB/recall on the cam phaser. If you are having the symptoms you should take it in and have them replaced.

GEORGETOWN

Reaction score
Check the AC compressor. Turn off the ac and see if the noise is still there
I have the same issue and thought it was the engine becasue it sounded just like the vales clicking and then it turned out to be my compressor. Dont know whats wrong with it but its still working fine so I am living with the ticking.
Its worth a try!
Good luck!

OP
OP
J

jourdan18

Reaction score
No luck! It was the timing chain guides that is worn out so now the chains are a little loose and that's whats making the noise. The kit cost $600.00 and labor is 12 hours total. A mechanic shop quoted me for $2,200.00 Dollars! So I'm just going to trade it in and get a newer rig if the price is right.

Crdmiami

Reaction score
I did the timing chain also becouse it was making noise but I still have. The can phaser noise also

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1