Engine timing codes? 2005 Triton V8 5.4 V3 200k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David E

Reaction score
Hello to all,
Seems like out of the blue I'm having the dreaded timing issues with my very loved Espy.
last week it drives great and then all of a sudden start making this horrible noise and these codes appear: P0022, P0340, P0345. Stopped driving it all together until i needed it (limited on transportation) then it seems like a draw of the luck.. Drives great no noise and suddenly goes back to the horrible sounds and code- P0345. As of now that is also the only code. Am I looking at a total failure of the timing or possibly just a sensor gone bad?
All and every help is highly appreciated. Thanks to all who might have any feedback on this.
David.

S20Workstation4

Reaction score
At 200k, the truck is due for a timing job. However, P0340/P0345 are codes relating to a faulty cam sensor.
If you can, try replacing the Bank 2 Cam Sensor and see what happens after that.

OP
OP
David E

David E

Reaction score
At 200k, the truck is due for a timing job. However, P0340/P0345 are codes relating to a faulty cam sensor.
If you can, try replacing the Bank 2 Cam Sensor and see what happens after that.
Is there anyways to know if previous owner (3 years ago) did the big timing job? I know he did the transmission at ford since it came with a tyranny warranty. I know the mileage is high but its in a really good shape and also a King Ranch which I love.
I have a spare one and will swap the sensors and see if that's gonna help. Thanks for your help.

S20Workstation4

Reaction score
Depending on how many miles were put on the vehicle from 3 years ago until now, you could remove the oil fill cap and filler neck (on the valve cover), and use a flashlight to look at the Phaser.
A new Phaser wouldn't be as tarnished as a Phaser from the original timing set. Same goes for the timing chain, if it is visible.