error code p1131 & p0172

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

inot1985

Reaction score
my 2002 engine has no cats. I have 2 error codes p0172 fuel system to rich bank 1 & p1131 lack of h02s signal low input. my question is if i use a spark plug de fouler to put my o2 sensor in will that clear the codes for an emissions inspection

Dewayne

Reaction score
When my converters accidentally fell off -only code I remember is po420 which the oil foulers took care of.

OP
OP
I

inot1985

Reaction score
Thank you for answering. Actually after mine fell off to, the po420 was the original code that came up on the computer. I never put the oil foulers on as I was not sure I was going to keep the car and my inspection was just passed prior to this. I did put on a new muffler, the old one the baffles were shot and I wanted to bring down the noise levels. I had my codes cleared to get rid of the CEL but then after a shorter time it came back on and I assumed it was for the same reason. Now I'm ready for inspection in another month and these 2 codes that I posted are there not the po420 code. My thought is that by putting on the new muffler it created more back pressure and changed the codes. I have been looking for any info on this situation but have not found anything so far. Before I start changing parts and sinking money into it I was hoping someone might have had a similar situation. Your thoughts and thanks again

Dewayne

Reaction score
Passenger side of engine could have a bad coil , bad spark plug, leaking fuel injector, bad upstream o2 sensor or maybe exhaust leak , when you do get this fixed you can count on the po420 coming back.

OP
OP
I

inot1985

Reaction score
I changed all the plugs and coils six months ago, will take a look at fuel injectors, how would i know if it is the upstream 02 sensor.

Dewayne

Reaction score
You could hook up a scanner and watch b1s1 and b2s1 sensors and compare as you force engine lean by removing vacuum hose then force engine rich by injecting propane.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got a dumb question? If the inspection people in your state care about dtc codes, don't they crawl under to see your missing two or more catalytic converters? I would.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Dewayne

Reaction score
While I don't have to worry about inspections if you looked under mine you wouldn't know . I only removed the innards.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ah, I get it. The spark plug oil fouler seems to fool the computer somewhat, but you've got multiple codes. After you repair the things that are causing codes, you might want to pay someone for a pre test emissions test. Here in California, if you fail a smog test, you go from every two years on inspections, to every year.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk