Expedition Alternative

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yockmyer

Reaction score
What a great read so far. I have gotten more unbiased, objective info from this posting than any I have read in any other forum. Will continue reading and am anxious to read what the OP decides and why (if he chooses to disclose). Thanks for the read.......

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow Train, no shortage of suggestions but as far as the Suburban goes, I'll realte a short story.

3-4 yrs ago when I owned my '03EB we had a real snow storm, like 18" of it. I left my home and drove over the Bay bridge to Kerry home. Her community was not plowed so I drove 18-20" of virgin snow to her Townhome. an hour later, the local MD State policemen who owned a new suburban tried following my tracks, he couldn't, he bottomed out. He and several others were working to free it when we left. Again because he was stuck on my tracks, I had to drive around them, on virgin snow....the Expy never missed a beat but that big ole Surbana wasn't doing so well in the white stuff!

Train, you're old school like me...and JE and a few others here. We grew up with V8's, we like them and know they are largely unbreakable. Just keep in mind that all those young kids have, for the past 30 years been working on better stuff than we had to work with. That's why a rather small 211CI engine can reliably produce well over 365HP/420TQ for 100's of thousands of miles.

The world is changing my friend, what used to be, is no longer....in the 80's, I HATED turbo's for many valid reasons....yet today I own a turbo charged bike(ironically a modified factory '82), a supercharged car and my twin turbo truck. It's like that really old Monkee's song.....I'm a believer<LOL> ....mainly because there is no difference in how long they last or maintenance.

Good luck Brother....

jeff

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Say whaaat?

3rd gen Expedition EL / Navigator L were within 5% of the Suburban by volume, and functionally better in actual use because the cargo area is flat and untilted...

Space behind 3rd row in a suburban is 20% larger than the expy. Suburban isn’t tilted but even if it were that would only matter to Apple salesmen.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Space behind 3rd row in a suburban is 20% larger than the expy. Suburban isn’t tilted but even if it were that would only matter to Apple salesmen.
Volume behind the 3rd row in the Burban is 9% larger than the Expi Max (39.3 v 36 ft3). But I think the majority of that is due to ceiling height or something because I seem to remember the difference in the distance between the door and the seatback is negligible. But I admit I may be misremembering.

Also remember the Burban is a wee bit longer than the Expi Max (224.4" v 221.9").

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Third row up? Then yeah maybe... i was referring to 3rd row down and/or 2nd and 3rd row down

You can cram in some truly huge stuff, like for example a fully assembled tanning bed...

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Third row up? Then yeah maybe... i was referring to 3rd row down and/or 2nd and 3rd row down

You can cram in some truly huge stuff, like for example a fully assembled tanning bed...
With the second and third-row down, the Expi Max is ever closer in size to the Burb...they're almost exactly the same.

upload_2019-8-29_10-25-29.png

Edit: I did my math wrong...the percentages should be 9.2, 4.6 and 0.2...sorry.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those numbers are well and good but except for people buying a new, there are very few of the Ls and ELs on the used Market. There are Suburbans everywhere.
Especially in the older stuff. What year did they even start making them for Ford? And they use Navigator Market you rarely see a navigator l but there are tons of Suburbans and the larger Yukons.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are Suburbans everywhere.
Especially in the older stuff.

Agreed. They hold more and sold much better. This means there are lots of them on the secondary market available for purchase too.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With the second and third-row down, the Expi Max is ever closer in size to the Burb...they're almost exactly the same.

View attachment 31810

Edit: I did my math wrong...the percentages should be 9.2, 4.6 and 0.2...sorry.
But the numbers are a little deceiving here with respect to room behind the 3rd row. My Odyssey has 38.4ft3 behind the 3rd row, but it's almost useless because it's a very tall and wide volume. Sure you can technically put 38.4ft3 of luggage back there, but it all has to be stacked on top of each other. And if it's something like kids bicycles instead of tetris pieces...

Also, for perspective, my old school XJ Jeep Cherokee had 30ft3 of volume behind the 2nd row. So the Max sits almost half way between the GM products and my old "compact" SUV.