My experience with a 2018 expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hms18

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2018 XLT that I bought new. I previously had a used Explorer for about a year and had no other experience with Ford cars. I only had Japanese cars before. I ran into quite a few problems, and I thought sharing them here. It's a good car in terms of the utilities, the space, and the fast engine, but it has been quite annoying in terms of its failures. As I write this, it's again with the dealer to fix new problems.

- The first problem was with the cold start rattle. I went to the dealer, and, as others have written in this forum, they replaced the VCT. I'm not sure if this would have caused damage to the engine in the long run, but I wasn't aware of the problem, although the noise was there. The dealer ignored it until I brought this up.

- Shocks were leaking before the car was one year old. They replaced four shocks when I complained about the annoying ride and noises.

- The cold start rattle returned, and they replaced the VCT.

- When I used the seat memory, it pushed my side mirrors far to the sides and kept trying to go further until I would stop the mirror manually. They replaced the motors inside the mirrors.

- Shocks went bad again, and they replaced them (about three years old).

- Once I was done with the warranty and unfortunately decided not to extend it, the car didn't take more than about a month to introduce a new noise from the front sides. The noise would increase as I accelerated. The dealer told me that the front bearings needed to be replaced, which they did, and the noise was cleared.

- I had a clicking noise in the transmission shifter. The dealer replaced some parts, and it was fixed.

- I have seen strange behavior from the 10-speed transmission. The famous Park to Drive clanking noise is always there. Every time I complain, they just reprogram the transmission, and nothing changes. The other problem is when the transmission is in the 4--6 range, it seems like it hangs and tries to switch gears back and forth and then settles. It's something that's very hard to explain, and I still hear a noise when I hit the accelerator when in 4--6. Reprogramming did nothing to fix the problem.

- A few days ago, the rear passenger side door jammed. I can't open the door.

- Check engine light is now on with the code P2240. The dealer is investigating the problem for a hefty diagnosis fee. Yet to hear from them.

In conclusion, I really want to love the car because of the space, the good A/C, and the fast engine, but it tries hard to disappoint me. I'm worried the transmission would fail altogether soon, and I'd just be spending more and more on it and leaving it with the dealer for days. Because I have never owned a Ford for a long time, I wonder if this is common and if Ford generally produces unreliable cars. I'm hesitant to buy any Ford in the future, although I still would like to exchange this for a large full-size SUV. I'm looking into GM cars, but I'm not sure if they're any better.

MikeS3000

Reaction score
I just traded in my 2018 Expy over the weekend with 83k miles. I too was hoping to drive the vehicle for many more years but the truck disappointed me. I spent over $5k 3 months ago to "fix" and overheating transmission when towing with a new pump for the trans cooler. Rear shocks failed and replaced and I think Front brakes were completely replaced. About a month ago the trans started slipping badly to point where I would not get in gear and the engine would just rev. I had to let off the throttle and it would slam into gear. My dealer quoted me $5k to repair the trans with a new CDF drum and something else or replace the trans for $9k. I cut my losses and traded for a new 2023 Expy max. Unfortunately the failed transmission hurt my trade-in value by $5k. My advice is to sell it now while maybe the dealer can't tell that something is wrong with the trans so you don't cost yourself more money. Your trans is going to completely fail very soon and you will regret it.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately some 18s with so much new tech were somewhat burdensome. The later yrs were better but not by much. Every new car nowadays are rushing with new tech, which brings unproven reliability on them. I dnt think any manufacturer makes a long lasting car nowadays, american, japanese or European. They build them to lease em, which means they have a 3 to 4 yr shelf life, expecting people to sell it, get a new one, while the dealer upcharges the vehicle and tries to sell you a haphazard warranty for it. Wins for the manufacturer and dealer, losses for the consumer.

OP
OP
H

hms18

Reaction score
I just traded in my 2018 Expy over the weekend with 83k miles. I too was hoping to drive the vehicle for many more years but the truck disappointed me. I spent over $5k 3 months ago to "fix" and overheating transmission when towing with a new pump for the trans cooler. Rear shocks failed and replaced and I think Front brakes were completely replaced. About a month ago the trans started slipping badly to point where I would not get in gear and the engine would just rev. I had to let off the throttle and it would slam into gear. My dealer quoted me $5k to repair the trans with a new CDF drum and something else or replace the trans for $9k. I cut my losses and traded for a new 2023 Expy max. Unfortunately the failed transmission hurt my trade-in value by $5k. My advice is to sell it now while maybe the dealer can't tell that something is wrong with the trans so you don't cost yourself more money. Your trans is going to completely fail very soon and you will regret it.

I'm actually thinking of selling it, but when looking up cars online, I see the prices have gone through the roof. I like the new Expys, but I'm not sure if I want to do this again. I will probably go for a Yukon or a Tahoe.
Another problem with my truck is that the ride is extremely stiff, especially on bumpy roads that are not well maintained in my area. I'm not looking for towing or doing any sports. It's a nice family car and should also give me a comfortable ride. I once tried the previous generation of Yukon, and I think it was more comfortable than my truck.

MikeS3000

Reaction score
From what I am reading and based on the service bulletin that Ford released in May, the 2023 vehicles may have better longevity with the transmission. The service bulletin is only for vehicles produced before Dec. '22. Just be careful with the newer Yukons and Tahoes as they share some of the transmission issues. GM and Ford co-designed the transmission. I have no idea if GM corrected their transmission issues as well.

JL Cruising

Reaction score
Just FYI my 22 F150 Platinum w/blackout package rides smoother and quieter than my 2018 Platinum Max. Dig the Exp but now my wife drives the truck.

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would want to keep my 21 Expedition Platinum but reading what all could go wrong with it makes me pause. This currently is my 4th Expedition. I extended my lease to wait for the 2024 models hoping that the mcs and other options would return to the vehicle. No mcs no Platinum as far as I am concerned. I use the mcs whenever I drive more than a few miles. Makes me want a late 60's vw beetle so I can work on it.

BP 09

Reaction score
A lot of the issues that several posters here having can be fixed with a quality tune. As for the cam phasers, it’s really not that big of a job. If you have a little bit of mechanical knowledge, and a decent set of tools. Make sure you’re upgrading to the most recent phase or part numbers. I took my time and did my phasers in a single Saturday.

Competitors to the expedition like the yukon and suburban family are plagued with issues as well. I feel like if you fix some of the shortcomings of the expedition with a tune and upgraded parts that you will have a more reliable experience than if you were to buy something else with the exception of maybe a Toyota sequoia.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm actually thinking of selling it, but when looking up cars online, I see the prices have gone through the roof. I like the new Expys, but I'm not sure if I want to do this again. I will probably go for a Yukon or a Tahoe.
Another problem with my truck is that the ride is extremely stiff, especially on bumpy roads that are not well maintained in my area. I'm not looking for towing or doing any sports. It's a nice family car and should also give me a comfortable ride. I once tried the previous generation of Yukon, and I think it was more comfortable than my truck.

This is very trim dependent. My 18 also had base springs, and in some instances felt stiff. Compared to the competitors, the gms with 18in wheels felt better, but with 20in or 22in felt way worse. I made sure I went with nav to get ccd, which does eliminate the stiffness, but adds 22in wheel slap.

Now, the new gms with air springs ride a bit better. I think Ford could've dumped a bit more money for the ride when the 4th gens first came out. Hopefully they rectify that foe the my25s. Though they are based on trucks, these are family haulers first and foremost. Nissan has done alot to make the armada the best riding truck on the market(this includes the new gms) with minimal changes to the suspension, so ford has no excuses.

OP
OP
H

hms18

Reaction score
I agree with you on the Armada. It rides great! It's strange that even the 21+ F150s ride better than the 18 Expy. I was in my friend's XLT F150 21, and it felt much smoother on the potholes and cracked asphalt compared with my truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire