My experience with a 2018 expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The suspension design in the rear hasn't changed since 2006. Doesn't look to be changing in 2025 either. Ford doesn't seem to want to put a lot of money into it. The f150 lighting has a more modern suspension, though their frame is highly similar. However, gm and jeep copied the general design component for their suvs so it must be doin something right.

If you can, you should trade it for a midsized suv. To get the ride you want, you'd probably be happier with a family cuv like a telluride or grand cherokee L.

One thing I forgot, the fords have great seat comfort. M wife noticed this about the new denali instantly, not very comfortable. Jeeps seats are too skinny, nissans too flat, no clue about sequoia, but most toyotas seats run firm.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The all-stock suspension on my 2019 Platinum, with heavy duty tow package, is crazy comfortable. It also takes bumpy roads very well. The only thing that may cause some a little concern is on a wavy road it floats over the swells like a boat, making you think your shocks are bad. I feel a huge difference in suspension and steering when switching between modes. Sport is my favorite, as it has better performance, holds and uses all the gears, and gives a tighter feel and better cornering. I don't know if driving around town in 6th gear will cost a lot of gas mileage loss. So, out of curiosity, I'm comparing gas mileage differences between the eco, standard and sport modes. Eco is the best for mileage but makes the EX feel like it's bogging down and has poor performance. I don't see a lot of difference between normal and sport mode, unless I drive more aggressive.
I'm not sure why some are unhappy with the suspension on the Expeditions. Maybe they are not all alike. My Excursion was a beast but drove like a heavy-duty truck. When I drive my Wife's 2021 Explorer, it's a whole different feel. Much tighter, better handling, but comfort and smoothness is nothing compared to the Expedition.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The all-stock suspension on my 2019 Platinum, with heavy duty tow package, is crazy comfortable. It also takes bumpy roads very well. The only thing that may cause some a little concern is on a wavy road it floats over the swells like a boat, making you think your shocks are bad. I feel a huge difference in suspension and steering when switching between modes. Sport is my favorite, as it has better performance, holds and uses all the gears, and gives a tighter feel and better cornering. I don't know if driving around town in 6th gear will cost a lot of gas mileage loss. So, out of curiosity, I'm comparing gas mileage differences between the eco, standard and sport modes. Eco is the best for mileage but makes the EX feel like it's bogging down and has poor performance. I don't see a lot of difference between normal and sport mode, unless I drive more aggressive.
I'm not sure why some are unhappy with the suspension on the Expeditions. Maybe they are not all alike. My Excursion was a beast but drove like a heavy-duty truck. When I drive my Wife's 2021 Explorer, it's a whole different feel. Much tighter, better handling, but comfort and smoothness is nothing compared to the Expedition.

Op has an xlt woth the base shocks, your platinum has the optional ccd shocks. Ccd makes a big difference in terms of ride for the most part. Also, for most of the expeditions lifetime, it has been considered to have the best ride in its class, especially with air springs. After 2015 after ditching the air springs, it seems ford hasn't truly tried to make the ride better, while the competitors have made their suvs ride like crossovers. Lastly, any given day, the ride will ride completely different than what your used to. My expy when I had it would ride glorious in day, and crappy the next on the same roads. My nav has the same variants too, though ccd minimizes the uncomfort somewhat.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Jag has air suspension. Definitely provides superior ride quality as compared to my Expedition. But the Expedition has E tires as well so it's not really a fair comparison. Honestly, with the Expedition being a truck based SUV, I think there are limits to what can be done for ride quality without extraordinary measures. The biggest gripe I have isn't impact harshness. It's the way the body shimmies over uneven and rutted pavement. Big difference between body on frame and unibody right there.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't noticed any shimmying on grooved or rough pavement on my 2019, either with the 22's it came with or with the 18's I've replaced them with. the correct tire pressure helps, when I swapped to the 18" wheels some clown had inflated them to 43 PSI, I reset them to 35 PSI and they were way smoother.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett