Expedition as Long Trip Road Vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drw1926

Reaction score
I've taken my '20 XLT FX4 MAX on two fall hunting trips comprised of multiple ~1000 mile legs from NC to Northern MI, to WI, to SD and back to NC over 7 weeks. When I leave home, the vehicle is jammed with dog, dog stuff, hunting gear, ammo (can't rely on buying any anywhere anymore) tools for working on the cabin, hunting clothes for everything from 75 degrees to 0 degrees, light construction to formal dinners. 2 cases of wine, food that can't be bought in the great white north (caviar, limes, dry aged beef, etc.). The MAX is full to the ceiling. My previous long haul vehicle was a 2007 F150 Lariat that is now the around town vehicle with 200K on it.

Biggest surprise is the mileage. I drive 10 mph+ over all freeway speed limits, even in SD (judge away). Lots of off-road 2 tracks, mud, etc. trying to get to places others can't. I average over 19 mpg on 87 octane, while in the economy (leaf) mode. With my truck on the same trek, the best I ever did was 17 and 15 was typical. I've also taken a couple of 5 hour hauls to the beach with bikes on a receiver mounted rack and experienced NO degradation in economy. Trips that cost me 2 mpg with the pick-up.

Tips for long haulers:

Have your brand new Expedition aligned after a 1000 miles or so. The front ends shake down and settle out after a few miles. The Ford specs allow negative toe...Make sure you have a trusted source (or DIY) and stipulate that the front toe be set within the positive side of the spec. Otherwise you'll experience wandering which can get onerous on hour 1, let alone hour 15.

Take your spare tire off, get it balanced (Ford doesn't factory balance the spares) and put it back on with the face facing down. This allows checking/filling it without dropping it in the future. You don't want to do 100 miles on an unbalanced spare, let alone 500.

Read the many comments about the Hellwig stabilizer bars. Many here swear by them. I like the rear so far. I put it on at Christmas. I'm going on a couple of medium (5 hour) trips in the next few weeks...I'll decide whether I want to replace the front or not based on how it feels with the rear only replaced both on and off road.

Disconnect the small antenna lead to the liftgate "kick" sensor located inside the rear bumper cover on the driver's side. The kick sensor on the lift gate NEVER works when you want it to; but, dogs, kids and you will activate it accidentally when you don't want to over and over.

If you're good with computers and vehicles get the cord and the Forscan software. If nothing else, program out the "double horn beep" that ticks you, your wife and your neighbors off every time you step out of the running vehicle with keys in your pocket. Imagine how good it feels...once you stop beating your head against the wall....that's how it feels once the double beep stops. There are lots of other mods you can make with Forscan depending on your wants/needs.

If you plan to use the 110V outlet on long trips, check out my entry on how to tighten it up. Otherwise, you'll have to continuously reach back and re-plug whatever you have plugged in.
Great info, thanks for posting.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We took a summer trip for 5 weeks this summer (family and dog) Headed out west (from Charlotte) to Colorado, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico. Pulled a 29 foot camper. Stayed at some great parks and wineries.
Platinum short Expy with a roof cargo carrier.
This vehicle was made for this. platinum trim, CCD suspension, captain’s chairs. Just a great road warrior. Plenty of torque. Luxurious comfort and room. If you don’t get the extended length Max, you NEED a roof top cargo carrier for really long trips. Put all the crap up top so you can stretch out in comfort.

That being said, the shorty has the smaller gas tank, and that sucks. Most of the time it isn’t too bad, but when towing it can be a pain.

You’re not likely to find a better long haul cruiser, outside of an RV.

Now if Ford could solve the cam phaser and transmission problems…
SMH

retired_chemist

Reaction score
We love the Expedition. We took a 2011 EL 18,500 miles for 3 months of camping in 2013. Across the northern US and back through the south to NH. We packed warm and cold weather tents, clothes and gear. It was 102 F in the Badlands of SD and 25 F in the Sierra Nevada's. At one stop in SD the campground manager said that the had never seen a tenter in such a fancy vehicle. We had a good laugh! If we had room in the back we knew that we had forgotten to pack something. We also took it on a 14,000 mile trip through southern Canada and back thru Utah and Colorado. Great pictures in the Canadian Rockies, Utah and Colorado. The Expedition is a great road warrior.

RetiredSOB

Reaction score
We love this car for travelling!! We travel from TX to CO at least 6 times per year, a 12.5 hour trip and it is soo comfortable. The adaptive cruise is a must. We have the second row bench and lay all the seats down flat, put all the luggage in the rear and two full size dog beads on top of the folded second row seats. The dogs love it, they sleep the entire trip other than bathroom breaks. We pack the back half of the car to the ceiling and you wouldn't believe how much junk you can fit in this thing.

Great travel car!!

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just took my 2019 XLT to Atlanta, GA and back. I have 3 kids from 15 to 4 and none of them really complained about road trip. When I was in Atlanta, I usually hauled 4 or 5 adults at once and everyone loved the space. Matching the Expedition with new Michelin Defender tires, it becomes a living room on wheels. The full tank got around 450 miles so we didn't stop much.

Only minor issue I'm having now is the burning plastic smell that would show up and go away after I drove it for a while. Of course dealer couldn't duplicate the smell after they kept it overnight.

Reaction score
I drove my family of three plus three small dogs and the cat, from San Francisco to Atlanta in a 2018 XLT. I towed a 16' Uhaul. I wish the fuel tank was as large as the MAX version. Felt like I needed to refuel way too quick!

It's been an amazing SUV. 31,000 miles and nothing but oil changes so far. My Bridgestone ALL-TERRAIN T/A K02 still look new. Best decision I made.

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's the best road tripping car I can imagine. Extremely comfortable, tons of storage space, it can tow a huge amount, and relatively fuel efficient. I recommend getting a rubber mat to sit in the trunk that fits when the third bench is folded down. It'll make cleanup easier and keep everything looking sharp.

Ex Afficianado

Reaction score
Our 2018 Expedition Max XLT is a great long-distance trip vehicle. We specifically got it in that configuration because of the ability to sleep comfortably inside it should we choose to do so. We recently did a 7,500 mile trip from Georgia to Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming, and it was awesome. It's just my wife and myself, yet the vehicle was entirely packed full stem to stern with all sorts of gear, equipment, and supplies for this long trip. The mileage (17.5) was pretty decent considering the weight of the vehicle, altitude, and topography traversed during the journey. It is an extremely comfortable ride, and with the Ecoboost V6, there is plenty of power whenever you need it.

We also routinely haul a 3,500 pound boat and trailer combo to local and distant lakes as far away as Florida, and the Expedition does really well there as well with the standard tow package. If you can avoid it at all, try not to get the Hankook tires. They will wear out in a very short time even with tender loving care applied to them. Forscan is a great idea in order to do what was mentioned above and permanently disable a lot of the nanny monitoring of what the truck wants to constantly enforce upon you.

Enjoy.

ryanpe

Reaction score
We have a '21 Limited with 301A, 302A, Special Edition Pkg, HD towing, 22" rims, 2 row captains, PPF on front end that we use to pull our Lance 1985 trailer for a combined GCVW of 12,500. It rides unbelievably well. We've been on several trips over 1000 miles each and couldn't be happier. Fuel economy when towing is at 9.5 - 10 mpg.