Expedition as Long Trip Road Vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rpw2021

Reaction score
As I wait (not very patiently!) for my 2022 Limited Max to arrive sometime in March, I though I'd ask the hive-mind's wisdom and insights on using Expys as distance haulers. This car's primary use is for long road trips: back and forth to the summer house (15hrs each way), back and forth to Florida (15+), kids to and from colleges (6+), and towing a racing sailboat to regattas all over the eastern half of the US.

So .. what experiences has everyone had with long road trips in their Expeditions? Any tips? Key upgrades or accessories?

We've got two kids who will both be in college this fall. Two dogs. Boat is only 2500lbs so an easy tow.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and insights.

(We are a longtime Volvo family -- and of course I have TWO Volvos in the shop today at the same time! Argh.)

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
HD Tow
Captains 2nd if you have only 2 kids, and pass thru for dogs.
Max if you have larger dogs that you want some bed space for them.

It's a great ride - I'd do CCD personally, but this is a forum debate on it's characteristics in certain road conditions.

fvernet

Reaction score
We have a 2011 XLT and have used it for countless long distance trips (over 205k miles on the odometer so far). It is very very very comfortable. I feel perfectly fine and rested after a 8-10 hour drive - no road fatigue. We do not have any upgrades or accessories. We are looking to replace our 2011 with a 2022 Limited or Platinum - wife wants as much comfort as possible :)

I think you will be quite happy with the 2022 as a long-distance hauler. Our experience has been nothing but good.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've taken my '20 XLT FX4 MAX on two fall hunting trips comprised of multiple ~1000 mile legs from NC to Northern MI, to WI, to SD and back to NC over 7 weeks. When I leave home, the vehicle is jammed with dog, dog stuff, hunting gear, ammo (can't rely on buying any anywhere anymore) tools for working on the cabin, hunting clothes for everything from 75 degrees to 0 degrees, light construction to formal dinners. 2 cases of wine, food that can't be bought in the great white north (caviar, limes, dry aged beef, etc.). The MAX is full to the ceiling. My previous long haul vehicle was a 2007 F150 Lariat that is now the around town vehicle with 200K on it.

Biggest surprise is the mileage. I drive 10 mph+ over all freeway speed limits, even in SD (judge away). Lots of off-road 2 tracks, mud, etc. trying to get to places others can't. I average over 19 mpg on 87 octane, while in the economy (leaf) mode. With my truck on the same trek, the best I ever did was 17 and 15 was typical. I've also taken a couple of 5 hour hauls to the beach with bikes on a receiver mounted rack and experienced NO degradation in economy. Trips that cost me 2 mpg with the pick-up.

Tips for long haulers:

Have your brand new Expedition aligned after a 1000 miles or so. The front ends shake down and settle out after a few miles. The Ford specs allow negative toe...Make sure you have a trusted source (or DIY) and stipulate that the front toe be set within the positive side of the spec. Otherwise you'll experience wandering which can get onerous on hour 1, let alone hour 15.

Take your spare tire off, get it balanced (Ford doesn't factory balance the spares) and put it back on with the face facing down. This allows checking/filling it without dropping it in the future. You don't want to do 100 miles on an unbalanced spare, let alone 500.

Read the many comments about the Hellwig stabilizer bars. Many here swear by them. I like the rear so far. I put it on at Christmas. I'm going on a couple of medium (5 hour) trips in the next few weeks...I'll decide whether I want to replace the front or not based on how it feels with the rear only replaced both on and off road.

Disconnect the small antenna lead to the liftgate "kick" sensor located inside the rear bumper cover on the driver's side. The kick sensor on the lift gate NEVER works when you want it to; but, dogs, kids and you will activate it accidentally when you don't want to over and over.

If you're good with computers and vehicles get the cord and the Forscan software. If nothing else, program out the "double horn beep" that ticks you, your wife and your neighbors off every time you step out of the running vehicle with keys in your pocket. Imagine how good it feels...once you stop beating your head against the wall....that's how it feels once the double beep stops. There are lots of other mods you can make with Forscan depending on your wants/needs.

If you plan to use the 110V outlet on long trips, check out my entry on how to tighten it up. Otherwise, you'll have to continuously reach back and re-plug whatever you have plugged in.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
HD Tow

It's a great ride - I'd do CCD personally, but this is a forum debate on it's characteristics in certain road conditions.
Man, I am going to get skewered for this....

If you're primarily going to keep it on the highway, and will only be towing 2500#, you may think about skipping HD Tow. The gearing in the HD Tow will hurt your MPG over the long term, and 2500# is WELL within the capability of the standard gearset.

I will now retire to the corner and prepare to be yelled at.

rick619

Reaction score
I also prefer the middle row captain's chairs to give passengers more privacy and less 'HE/SHE KEEPS TOUCHING/LOOKING AT ME'. lol

Also plenty of charging cables, extra headphones, some blankets. We keep a small stash of bottled water in it to avoid paying for water on the road.

OP
OP
R

rpw2021

Reaction score
HD Tow

I ordered the Captains chairs in the 2nd row for the reasons you suggest. I also ordered the HD tow and the eLSD - probably not strictly necessary for my use case but good for resale value and flexibility down the road.

OP
OP
R

rpw2021

Reaction score
I've taken my '20 XLT FX4 MAX on two fall hunting trips comprised of multiple ~1000 mile legs from NC to Northern MI, to WI, to SD and back to NC over 7 weeks. When I leave home, the vehicle is jammed with dog, dog stuff, hunting gear, ammo (can't rely on buying any anywhere anymore) tools for working on the cabin, hunting clothes for everything from 75 degrees to 0 degrees, light construction to formal dinners. 2 cases of wine, food that can't be bought in the great white north (caviar, limes, dry aged beef, etc.). The MAX is full to the ceiling. My previous long haul vehicle was a 2007 F150 Lariat that is now the around town vehicle with 200K on it.

Biggest surprise is the mileage. I drive 10 mph+ over all freeway speed limits, even in SD (judge away). Lots of off-road 2 tracks, mud, etc. trying to get to places others can't. I average over 19 mpg on 87 octane, while in the economy (leaf) mode. With my truck on the same trek, the best I ever did was 17 and 15 was typical. I've also taken a couple of 5 hour hauls to the beach with bikes on a receiver mounted rack and experienced NO degradation in economy. Trips that cost me 2 mpg with the pick-up.

Tips for long haulers:

Have your brand new Expedition aligned after a 1000 miles or so. The front ends shake down and settle out after a few miles. The Ford specs allow negative toe...Make sure you have a trusted source (or DIY) and stipulate that the front toe be set within the positive side of the spec. Otherwise you'll experience wandering which can get onerous on hour 1, let alone hour 15.

Take your spare tire off, get it balanced (Ford doesn't factory balance the spares) and put it back on with the face facing down. This allows checking/filling it without dropping it in the future. You don't want to do 100 miles on an unbalanced spare, let alone 500.

Read the many comments about the Hellwig stabilizer bars. Many here swear by them. I like the rear so far. I put it on at Christmas. I'm going on a couple of medium (5 hour) trips in the next few weeks...I'll decide whether I want to replace the front or not based on how it feels with the rear only replaced both on and off road.

Disconnect the small antenna lead to the liftgate "kick" sensor located inside the rear bumper cover on the driver's side. The kick sensor on the lift gate NEVER works when you want it to; but, dogs, kids and you will activate it accidentally when you don't want to over and over.

If you're good with computers and vehicles get the cord and the Forscan software. If nothing else, program out the "double horn beep" that ticks you, your wife and your neighbors off every time you step out of the running vehicle with keys in your pocket. Imagine how good it feels...once you stop beating your head against the wall....that's how it feels once the double beep stops. There are lots of other mods you can make with Forscan depending on your wants/needs.

If you plan to use the 110V outlet on long trips, check out my entry on how to tighten it up. Otherwise, you'll have to continuously reach back and re-plug whatever you have plugged in.

These are all great tips, thanks!

Reaction score
I did about 5k miles in mine over the course of a month and a half, including 2 1500 mile hauls. I would highly suggest the captains chair configuration. With the mobile wifi and captains chairs, it's like a rolling living room. With all the drivers assistance features, like advanced cruise control, it's a very easy vehicle to just eat up miles. I was also very pleasantly surprised at the mileage on the highway. One of the 1500 mile hauls we did in a straight 24 hours of driving, only stopped for a couple of meals and bathroom breaks / fuel. Kids were plenty happy to watch movies, play games, and sleep in the captains chairs. Wife and I swapped off driving, and I was able to get some sleep in the front seat. I really cannot think of a better road trip vehicle outside of maybe one of those Mercedes vans. For a family of 4 it is more than enough.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can't beat these for long trips. We run my 18 Max from Northern, WI to Miami every year and its as comfortable as anything. Front sway bar makes for a real corner carving Titanic!