Expedition Limited vs Platinum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why? aesthetics? or some other reson?
I just like the appearance of the interior with an all black interior. And on top of that, I work on cars and I know from experience that regardless of how careful I am to be sure to wear a hat on the way home if I’ve been working under a greasy oily car, I’ll eventually forget once and have a nasty spot to look at and remind me how much I hate light colored headliners.

OP
OP
B

bkanic

Reaction score
I went with the Limited w/302A over the Platinum for one reason, the Limited’s ebony interior carried the color up into the pillar trim and headliner and that was more important than the massage seats and all the other little aesthetically pleasing differences. I loved the massage seats in my previous vehicles and that is the one thing I wish it had that it doesn’t but I’d still buy the Limited again without reservation.

I like the Ceramic on the Platinum. One thing that isn’t offered on the Limited is the Ceramic, they only have Stone. I’m wondering which looks and feels nicer? Probably Ceramic, but let’s see what ou guys choose

Lawrence T-D

Reaction score
it is definitely not the octane that makes the 25hp difference. it is absolutely the tune on the engine. which in turn will dictate what octane you run.

The manual states 87 Octane for the Platinum. I have no issues on 87. I do avoid cheap gas and always pump Top Tier gas which makes a big difference to engine efficiency and life in the long run. Costco is the best Top Tier gas as it is cheaper than the big names and I get a 4% rebate using my Costco card too.

Lawrence T-D

Reaction score
I like the Ceramic on the Platinum. One thing that isn’t offered on the Limited is the Ceramic, they only have Stone. I’m wondering which looks and feels nicer? Probably Ceramic, but let’s see what ou guys choose

I have Ceramic (you can get black). It looks awesome!

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The platinum has Nirvana Leather. They say it is the nicest leather ford has used in a vehicle. We have the ceramic in our platinum explorer and feel it has held up pretty well.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
bkanic - Going back to your first post here - CCD is not air suspension - it uses the magnetic shocks like GM does. I have it on my 16 and it gives you SPORT. NORMAL, and COMFORT settings. I use NORMAL 90% of the time. Sport tightens it up a bit but is best on smooth roads. Comfort gives you a bit more "cush" in the ride. A bit too floaty for me, especially at highway speeds over small rises and dips in the pavement. Good luck with your decision - I was about to pull the trigger on a new Denali but the towing capacity and better ride pushed me to the Ford. Not to mention about $12K less money!!

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The manual states 87 Octane for the Platinum. I have no issues on 87. I do avoid cheap gas and always pump Top Tier gas which makes a big difference to engine efficiency and life in the long run. Costco is the best Top Tier gas as it is cheaper than the big names and I get a 4% rebate using my Costco card too.
If I understand it correctly, (I can't remember where I read it) the engine output ratings for all 3 versions (XLT/LTD, Plat, & Navi) require the use of 93 octane gas. They're designed to run on 89, but you won't achieve the rated power output.

Just like the fine print in the owners manual for my old X308 XJ V8 4.0. And as opposed to the owners manual for my old Jeep XJ 4.0 I6 which specifically stated the engine was designed to run on the cheap stuff and using the more expensive gas would simply waste your money.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
C
If I understand it correctly, (I can't remember where I read it) the engine output ratings for all 3 versions (XLT/LTD, Plat, & Navi) require the use of 93 octane gas. They're designed to run on 89, but you won't achieve the rated power output.

Just like the fine print in the owners manual for my old X308 XJ V8 4.0. And as opposed to the owners manual for my old Jeep XJ 4.0 I6 which specifically stated the engine was designed to run on the cheap stuff and using the more expensive gas would simply waste your money.
Correct. The manual states that the engine is designed to run on 87 but you need 91 to get maximum performance especially during hot weather and under load:

upload_2018-1-19_10-8-39.png

Dennis48755

Reaction score
I'm so glad I went with the Limited Max w/302A vs Platinum, sight-unseen.

I like less exterior chrome, I would have gone with the XLT FX4 if I could have added the 302A electronics. For the same reason I like the Limited grill better than the Platinum with its less shiny inner grill.

I have also never liked the wood grain trim look, going all the way back to when I was a kid and my dad bought a Ford Country Squire station wagon. After taking deliver, I really like the grayish grain trim panels. I also like the gray trim on the steering wheel vs the chrome.

Dennis

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nameisbry