Expedition vs Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spades

Reaction score
Used to have the 1st gen Expedition, it was cool but hated having to carry the 3rd seat in & out. The folding rear seat of the 2nd gen Expy is a huge plus to me... and then the Expy interior styling finished off the Subie

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Azjeff

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I'll try to explain my thinking better. Need more room than the 1st gen Xterra, a 4runner isn't going to do it. Don't hate or love the looks inside or outside of the Ex or Tahoe so that's a wash. I've never been scared driving my son's Z71 on the road and honestly haven't driven an Ex, only ridden in them so a test drive is in the near future to see what people are talking about, no need for heavy AS bars to fix road manners of the Tahoe. This is the 3rd vehicle, haul dogs, bikes, grandkids in car seats, camping stuff. Mostly local adventures. Dirt roads, light trail duty. 5-6K a year.

If we have an 05 Expedition and 05 Tahoe each with 100K miles, both stock, in comparable condition, not EB or Z71, what needs done to the Ex to make it the equal on dirt to the Tahoe? The Ford has the spark plug issue, the GM has intake manifold gasket leaks sometimes. Some think the stock trannys are weak, others think both are fine. Sounds like some think the 5.4 is down on power from the 5.3, not a big deal I've got a light foot and won't be towing.

I would level both with a 3/2 lift and upsize tires after doing all fluids and necessary maintenance. No bumpers, winches, rock rails, lockers, etc. (maybe skids). Is the IRS going to stop the Ex at some point and the Tahoe is going to keep going?

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I'll try to explain my thinking better. Need more room than the 1st gen Xterra, a 4runner isn't going to do it. Don't hate or love the looks inside or outside of the Ex or Tahoe so that's a wash. I've never been scared driving my son's Z71 on the road and honestly haven't driven an Ex, only ridden in them so a test drive is in the near future to see what people are talking about, no need for heavy AS bars to fix road manners of the Tahoe. This is the 3rd vehicle, haul dogs, bikes, grandkids in car seats, camping stuff. Mostly local adventures. Dirt roads, light trail duty. 5-6K a year.

If we have an 05 Expedition and 05 Tahoe each with 100K miles, both stock, in comparable condition, not EB or Z71, what needs done to the Ex to make it the equal on dirt to the Tahoe? The Ford has the spark plug issue, the GM has intake manifold gasket leaks sometimes. Some think the stock trannys are weak, others think both are fine. Sounds like some think the 5.4 is down on power from the 5.3, not a big deal I've got a light foot and won't be towing.

I would level both with a 3/2 lift and upsize tires after doing all fluids and necessary maintenance. No bumpers, winches, rock rails, lockers, etc. (maybe skids). Is the IRS going to stop the Ex at some point and the Tahoe is going to keep going?

If you won't go higher than a 3/2 lift I'd (again) stick with the expy... GM SUVs have several companies that make 6"+ lift kits for but ford only has the 3/2 level around for the expedition... IMO the expedition is just as capable as the Tahoe would be with the 3/2 level and it drives like a small car even with the suspension cranked on the leveling kit. So all in all, if you want more room, cheaper price, better towing, and easier ride, I'd go with the expedition because both with a 3/2 they are going be about matched offroad and with some 285 at tires on that level kit I'm certain the expy will surprise you and make you fall in love.
Also were a small community and we stick together and help each other whenever it's needed, Tahoe/Yukon forums are around by the hundred and with so many different people chiming in you'll get an overload of opinions with one of those whereas here the few of us can work together to help you out with any issues or questions you might have!
So now I'm being bias but EXPEDITION ALL THE WAY!!!!!

Jared

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 05 Expy with 238k runs great and rides great. I off road quite often. I have the stock set up with upgrade tires and really had not issue with where I go. Just upgraded suspension including 3.5 & 2.5 leveling kit added 35" tires. with these mods it now really climbs. I prefer the driving dynamic of the Expy over the Tahoe or Suburban. Expy fits in between in size. Power wise for daily driving and wheeling the expy works very well. Towing it does feel like it strains a bit but does the job. I am a convert as I grew up with chevys and this id my first Ford that I owned. The expy has been a great vehicle. Note adding constant rate springs and Bilistein shocks is a huge improvement