Expedition worth the extra money??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordman1979

Reaction score
So I recently posted my wife and I were going to build but I found a White Platinum Limited with 5,100 miles on it with a MSRP of 68,200. The dealership is going to sell it to me for $63,515 out the door. It has all the features she wants but in the end it's still a 63k vehicle. We plan on putting $21k down to make the payments decent, but even at 4% at 84 months, it'll be high 500's. I can buy a brand new LT Tahoe for $53,000 out the door. My payments would be much cheaper. I really don't want the Tahoe, but want the wife comfortable with the payments. Is it worth the extra money?

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your talkin about a 18 expy ask the dealer if it was a demo...if it was a demo and they willing to do 63k otd with ttl, take it, take it, take it. The truck and her satisfaction will def more than make up the 100 diff in monthly payment.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with dlcorbett if you want the expy, get the expy. Spending 53 grand on something you don’t want isn’t the best decision....a 53k dollar mistake is a big one.

OP
OP
Fordman1979

Fordman1979

Reaction score
If your talkin about a 18 expy ask the dealer if it was a demo...if it was a demo and they willing to do 63k otd with ttl, take it, take it, take it. The truck and her satisfaction will def more than make up the 100 diff in monthly payment.

It's an 18 and yes a demo.

Yukon Joe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Fordman1979
I think you could get a better deal in the demo with 5k miles on it. $5000 off isn't that great, when you see dealers discounting Expeditions with 0 miles that much. Sometimes more. I'm getting mine, although it's an xlt, for $10k off sticker.

Another example, I was also looking at a Yukon Denali XL demo with 3300 miles. The dealer without blinking offered it to me at $68K. That's roughly $14k off MSRP for a demo. I think you can get a better deal for the Expedition.

If you want to buy that yukon, the dealer has it listed for $72k in Wilmington, NC.

Good luck on your decision.

@Yukon Joe

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, I'll be the contrarian here: if you're that worried about the monthly nut, you probably shouldn't be spending $63k on a new truck. Have you maxed out your IRAs and/or 401(k)s? I mean the real impetus to buy one of these over either a 4-runner or a minivan is because you have bigger, more expensive toys. And if you're spending money you don't really have just so you can spend more money on toys... But if I've overlooked something and you absolutely need one of these rigs, wait for 0% financing on the Tahoe, invest your down payment and make 2-3% on the interest rate arbitrage. Sure there's a bunch of things the Expedition does better than the Tahoe, and if you have the money, then it's probably worth it. But there's also a bunch of things the Land Cruiser does better than than Expedition. But I just didn't have the $$ to buy an $85k truck and save for the future. And let's not get started on the Range Rover and G-wagon...

Last edited:

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can continue to negotiate. Gm has been offering huge discounts on all their fs suvs so that nothing new. True its possible you can maybe find a better deal, but remember you have all the leverage but in all actuality, 63k including taxes is about 8k off because taxes adds about 4k depending on your state

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A 33% down payment is commendable. Following that with 84 month financing is a little odd. Clark Howard could very well suffer a stroke and die live on the air should you call him proposing this, so please dont. If you paid the minimum each month and went the full SEVEN YEAR duration, thats some $6300 in interest paid using your numbers.

$0.25 to $0.35 per mile is the general demo discount, so they should be discounting you somewhere in the $1500 neighborhood outside of every other offer. I've heard of $0.50+ CPM demo discounts, but on higher-end non-domestics.

Understand that the standard Ford warranty start/mileage date was the month & day some 5,000 miles ago when the truck went into service at the dealership. Not the day you buy it. You never know, could have been a demo since late 2017. So be sure to ask and get some kind of official document from the dealer of the in-service date. Kind of observed (aka: eavesdropped) a heated conversation about this on a dealer service drive one day. Guy was out of coverage by several months and couldn't wrap his head around it.

OP
OP
Fordman1979

Fordman1979

Reaction score
@Fordman1979
I think you could get a better deal in the demo with 5k miles on it. $5000 off isn't that great, when you see dealers discounting Expeditions with 0 miles that much. Sometimes more. I'm getting mine, although it's an xlt, for $10k off sticker.

Another example, I was also looking at a Yukon Denali XL demo with 3300 miles. The dealer without blinking offered it to me at $68K. That's roughly $14k off MSRP for a demo. I think you can get a better deal for the Expedition.

If you want to buy that yukon, the dealer has it listed for $72k in Wilmington, NC.

Good luck on your decision.

@Yukon Joe

They are taking way more off XLT’s then they are a limited or platinum’s. They have too many XLT’s out there and I have seen 10 to 11 grand off but I do not want an XLT. Of course GMC and Chevy are discounting Tahoe‘s and yukons more because there are way more of them out there and that style has been around for a long time. The Expy is too new to discount heavily and Ford knows that. I don’t think $9k off a Expy with 5k miles is horrible.

OP
OP
Fordman1979

Fordman1979

Reaction score
Ok, I'll be the contrarian here: if you're that worried about the monthly nut, you probably shouldn't be spending $63k on a new truck. Have you maxed out your IRAs and/or 401(k)s? I mean the real impetus to buy one of these over either a 4-runner or a minivan is because you have bigger, more expensive toys. And if you're spending money you don't really have just so you can spend more money on toys... But if I've overlooked something and you absolutely need one of these rigs, wait for 0% financing on the Tahoe, invest your down payment and make 2-3% on the interest rate arbitrage. Sure there's a bunch of things the Expedition does better than the Tahoe, and if you have the money, then it's probably worth it. But there's also a bunch of things the Land Cruiser does better than than Expedition. But I just didn't have the $$ to buy an $85k truck and save for the future. And let's not get started on the Range Rover and G-wagon...

We can afford the monthly payment but we are both savers it would be always nice to save more money per month if we went with the Tahoe. In all honesty I can buy the car out right but I do not want to deplete my savings to almost nothing . Yes I have a bunch of money in a 457 but I’m not touching that because that is for retirement along with other retirement accounts. I hate minivans with a passion so that’s not happening. We need a bigger vehicle because we just had our third kid. I like the looks of the Tahoe’s and Yukon’s but the room inside is not that great compared to the Expy. Question is, is it worth the extra $100 to $150 a month?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire