Expedition worth the extra money??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon Joe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They are taking way more off XLT’s then they are a limited or platinum’s. They have too many XLT’s out there and I have seen 10 to 11 grand off but I do not want an XLT. Of course GMC and Chevy are discounting Tahoe‘s and yukons more because there are way more of them out there and that style has been around for a long time. The Expy is too new to discount heavily and Ford knows that. I don’t think $9k off a Expy with 5k miles is horrible.
Then I think you have your decision. Post up some pics when you get her in ther driveway! :)

@Yukon Joe

OP
OP
Fordman1979

Fordman1979

Reaction score
Do you guys think it would be better to wait until Labor Day sales or end of the year sales to try to get a better deal on a new one? To the poster about putting 33% down with 84 months; just like a lower payment, that’s all. We may put more down but I would go over $25k. Again, I could buy it cash but most of our bank savings would be gone and I like that there for rainy days.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We can afford the monthly payment but we are both savers it would be always nice to save more money per month if we went with the Tahoe. In all honesty I can buy the car out right but I do not want to deplete my savings to almost nothing . Yes I have a bunch of money in a 457 but I’m not touching that because that is for retirement along with other retirement accounts. I hate minivans with a passion so that’s not happening. We need a bigger vehicle because we just had our third kid. I like the looks of the Tahoe’s and Yukon’s but the room inside is not that great compared to the Expy. Question is, is it worth the extra $100 to $150 a month?
Ah. In that case, is this for you or her? If it's the main people mover and she's the one driving it around all the time, just get what she wants. Happy wife, happy life. That said, the 3rd row in the Tahoe is essentially unusable by an adult or teenager and if you trade vehicles in 4 years, you'll have lost all your "savings". And if the kids are little, the tip and slide seats are the bomb!

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you guys think it would be better to wait until Labor Day sales or end of the year sales to try to get a better deal on a new one? To the poster about putting 33% down with 84 months; just like a lower payment, that’s all. We may put more down but I would go over $25k. Again, I could buy it cash but most of our bank savings would be gone and I like that there for rainy days.
$42k @ 4% for 84mo is $6k. That's a lot of scratch ($72/mo) to get your payment down under some (arbitrary) number...

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has wifey druven them back to back? Also, has she driven an armada? Same features but at a lower price point and they drive rele nice. They also lack room compared to the expy, but they drive similar, has good fit and finish, and the interior looks good as well.

OP
OP
Fordman1979

Fordman1979

Reaction score
Has wifey druven them back to back? Also, has she driven an armada? Same features but at a lower price point and they drive rele nice. They also lack room compared to the expy, but they drive similar, has good fit and finish, and the interior looks good as well.

No, she doesn’t like Nissan. I’m not a fan of the Armada to be honest.

OP
OP
Fordman1979

Fordman1979

Reaction score
Ah. In that case, is this for you or her? If it's the main people mover and she's the one driving it around all the time, just get what she wants. Happy wife, happy life. That said, the 3rd row in the Tahoe is essentially unusable by an adult or teenager and if you trade vehicles in 4 years, you'll have lost all your "savings". And if the kids are little, the tip and slide seats are the bomb!

This is her vehicle. I have a 2011 F150 lariat that is paid off. I only have 60,000 miles on it so I will be keeping it for a long time. I keep my vehicles in great shape so they last. No reason to buy a new truck when mine is paid for and in great shape.

OP
OP
Fordman1979

Fordman1979

Reaction score
$42k @ 4% for 84mo is $6k. That's a lot of scratch ($72/mo) to get your payment down under some (arbitrary) number...

So we go with more months for lower payments that way we can save more but there is no penalty for paying it off early so paying 6k isn’t going to happen.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For what my opinion is worth (I'm just some random guy on the internet): I never pay cash for cars, even if I can, at least not in this interest rate environment.

I would never want to take cash out of the markets (which historically return 5%-6%) to avoid having to pay 2%-3% on a car note. If I have the money in savings or investments, I would much rather finance all that I can and just have the savings/investment make or supplement the monthly payments. That way I am using money that's making 5%-6% to pay for money that costs me 2%-3%...rather than foregoing the opportunity to make the 5%-6% altogether.

Yeah I know Dave Ramsey is hyperventilating, but as long as you don't finance more than you COULD pay off if something catastrophic happens, the math seems hard to argue with.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For what my opinion is worth (I'm just some random guy on the internet): I never pay cash for cars, even if I can, at least not in this interest rate environment.

I would never want to take cash out of the markets (which historically return 5%-6%) to avoid having to pay 2%-3% on a car note. If I have the money in savings or investments, I would much rather finance all that I can and just have the savings/investment make or supplement the monthly payments. That way I am using money that's making 5%-6% to pay for money that costs me 2%-3%...rather than foregoing the opportunity to make the 5%-6% altogether.

Yeah I know Dave Ramsey is hyperventilating, but as long as you don't finance more than you COULD pay off if something catastrophic happens, the math seems hard to argue with.
This right here! We put nothing down because Ford was charging less in interest than we could easily make on our investments. Sure, my payments are [some giant number], but the math says we end up with more money than if we'd paid cash...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire