Expensive Sunroof Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree that having one is nice, I do love using them instead of the windows, say at high speeds. But if they are going to be built like crap, I don't want one. Trouble is, it's not an option on higher packages, and you certainly can't "remove" it from higher packages. Again, I know many folks wont agree here, but another $100/yr to lubricate a sunroof? My wife's acura has never been touched and it still works fine after almost 5 yrs. And why all the damn plastic. Most of my previous moonroofs were at least aluminum. Super easy to manufacture and machine, and definitely more reliable than plastic, especially during thermal cycles (hot/cold, expansion, etc).

I have since bought the new lubricant Ford recommends and a good gasket cleaner to try and take care of mine, but it still pops like crazy when opening it, I'm guessing mine will break any day too.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone know what lube is being suggested? Guessing its a silicon based given the waxy stuff in high temps and cold temps tends to turn into glue.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone know what lube is being suggested? Guessing its a silicon based given the waxy stuff in high temps and cold temps tends to turn into glue.
Some non caloric...

Wait here or is:

Try it first and let us know how it works...

mitchs42

Reaction score
My moonroof shattered and blew off while I was driving through Kansas on the way back to Colorado. It was replaced under warranty thankfully as it was a spontaneous explosion of the tempered glass. It took them 16 hours to fix and included dropping the headliner twice. I would never buy another moonroof after that experience. I was in the middle of nowhere and had to drive a few hundred miles to the closest store that had boxes and duct tape to make a patch. Also was towing an RV so the pull off the highway when it first happened sucked as I was on a back road and had a hard time getting turned back around. Now imagine if that same thing happened in a rainstorm or winter. I might custom order my next vehicle so I can get the packages I want without the very commonly optioned moonroof that is on the lot units.
Do you have any pictures from what it looked like. We have a 2020 platinum with 3500 miles and only 3 months old and ours exploded a few weeks back on way home from a 7 hour drive and the dealer tried to get it repaired under warranty and ford told me and them pretty much tough shit that it will not be covered. They say something had to fall on it which is crap. i would like to hear from anyone who has had this happen. We are scared to even take it out of town now. We were about 3 hours from home when it happened and luckily it was not raining. TAD Mitch

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have any pictures from what it looked like. We have a 2020 platinum with 3500 miles and only 3 months old and ours exploded a few weeks back on way home from a 7 hour drive and the dealer tried to get it repaired under warranty and ford told me and them pretty much tough shit that it will not be covered. They say something had to fall on it which is crap. i would like to hear from anyone who has had this happen. We are scared to even take it out of town now. We were about 3 hours from home when it happened and luckily it was not raining. TAD Mitch

That's some scary shit, don't hesitate to call ford customer care directly and ask immediately for escalation. That's some terrible customer care. Were both pieces of glass on yours shattered? Or just the piece that moves? I would argue that if something fell on it, it would be pretty damn hard for either the surrounding roof or the other piece of glass not to have been damaged at the same time. Additionally, the ****** plastic frames would have likely broken if something impacted it that hard, were they still intact? Were you opening/closing it when it shattered or was it stationary?

Did you already pay for a repair out of pocket? If so, Ford likely won't reimburse you, but demand the longest Ford premium care warranty be added to your vehicle if you don't already have it or ask for a 2 year maintenance plan for free, something to offset the cost. It's taken me 8 months from start to finish to finally get ford to agree to replace my turbos due to rattling wastegates. We'll see if it helps. I have literally written letters to Ford and the Board of Directors complaining about how ****** their customer service is and how disappointed I am as a first time Forder. Haven't heard back on either letter but I'm guessing that might be why they have finally decided to do the service.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After reading this, I inspected and tightened all the screws on my sun roof. I clean & lube it’s gaskets every month already from what I’ve learned on this forum. The TSB for these was very helpful, learning the tricks to maintenance the normally unreachable gasket areas etc.

Last edited:

Shutterbug57

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wish you could order a upper trim level with a sunroof/moonroof delete option.

Me too. I ended up with a Limited Max. It’s pretty loaded, but deleting the sunroof made the 360* camera option unavailable. At 6’5”, I need the headroom, so will not buy a sunroof. I fail to understand why so many manufacturers make sunroofs mandatory to get unrelated options.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69