Exploding Ball Joint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello all,
I just saw my life flash before my eyes. I am a pretty safe guy I'd like to think. I have my safety glasses, fire extinguisher, fire blanket.....So I was trying to get the lower ball joint out and not getting anywhere. So after 1/2 hour of getting nowhere I broke out the acetylene torch and heated the area around it till it was a nice faint cherry color, then all of a sudden KABOOOOM. I was thrown back and my ears ringing for at least 20 min. What had happened was the ball exploded out of the joint, blew a chunk of concrete out of my floor and landed 10 feet away. The only thing I can think of is that there may have been an airtight seal between the ball and socket and the residual grease steamed up and had nowhere to go so next, KABOOOM. In 30 years I have never had this happened.. anyone else hear of this ever

OP
OP
C

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After that, I pinched myself, checked for blood, and called it a day.:rotflmao:
But no damage to the expedition

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
damn no video???? lol... glad your safe but that had to scare the :dancingpoop: out of ya

OP
OP
C

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You aint kidding..some of the estimates....well today I go back to hopefully finish the job. I'm RR the front rotors,upper and lower ball joints,wheel hub assemblies, inner outer tie rods,spark plugs,pcv valve,air cleaner,oil change and air filter, interior air filter.. I THINK that's it. Ok maybe I'll be done tomorrow .:rotflmao:

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like a fun full day of work.... wanna come do mine when your done???

OP
OP
C

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I talked to a local mechanic the other day and he had the same thing happen only he was not as lucky. The vehicle was on the rack when the ball joint exploded. Broke his arm in 6 places and he would have bled to death but the ball joint was red hot so it cotorized the length of his arm. He has a scar about a foot long,1" wide and 1/8 deep. He did the same procedure I did and he believed it was also due to the lack of the grease fitting on it.:badidea:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition