Expy is in the shop, been driving a rental Suburban...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a 5.4 v3, 800 CAD for a plug change because they liked to break, that was assuming the plugs hadn't self ejected. You may not have noticed the noise of a missing spark plug over the cam phaser knock, the primary cat self destructed knock or just the general noise of the cooling fan clutch which took an hour to disengage at -30c

So yeah once Ford sorted all that out, they became reliable which was just about the time they decided to make them obsolete.

poppie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it was NOT for uncle sugar mandating CAF standards we would still have the Excursion built off the F-250 3/4 ton platform with that MILLION MILE TROUBLE FREE 7.3 PSD, people that beat the snot out of a 7.3 still got 400,000 to 500,000 miles out of the engine that was a towing / hauling BEAST and some say size doesn't matter :).

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Moose, change those plugs on your 2000. I did mine twice. Once at 95K and again at 215K. Get a "torque limiting socket" for $20 from ebay and it lets go at the right torque. Not a bad job, just take your time.

Believe me, with 100K it'll run better with new plugs.

Kmdcolo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The cargo bay is smaller but I have more legroom in the 2nd and 3rd row. The 2nd row bench with slide and tilt was the deciding factor for me.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets be honest here, the 2018+ is better than the older versions in every way. That’s Ford’s technological and design progress at work. If Ford built vehicles that were worse than its predecessors, they would be out of business. But I get it, it’s fun to joke around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

proeasy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
25+ years in various Suburbans/Yukons. The 2018 Expy Max beets them and I am a long term GM guy,,so I switched. I think best of both would be the Denali 6.2 in the Expy.

2nd Row seating is terrible in the GM. Ford has a prerfect flat floor when all seats are down. However expect GM to catch up next year

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
25+ years in various Suburbans/Yukons. The 2018 Expy Max beets them and I am a long term GM guy,,so I switched. I think best of both would be the Denali 6.2 in the Expy.

2nd Row seating is terrible in the GM. Ford has a prerfect flat floor when all seats are down. However expect GM to catch up next year

Ford has a great motor in their 6.2L. It has been reserved for truck duty and with CAFE it would be a tough implementation. Unless they had a select trim that received it or allowed it to be special ordered. When they did it in F-150 it was available in most trims but it was order only on XLT and Lariat. For 2 years the Limited edition came standard with it, then the 3.5 ecoboost was standard but for a premium you could upgrade to the 6.2L. It was standard on Harley Davidson, Raptor trim F-150s. My buddy works for ford and just bought a new 3.5 F-150 and put in a tuner, thing flies. When he showed me the truck we had this exact discussion..... that the 6.2 should come back with some new heads.

Last edited:

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score

Please explain this new lifted soccer mom tahoe/ Yukon trend?! It' horrific.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Lets be honest here, the 2018+ is better than the older versions in every way. That’s Ford’s technological and design progress at work. If Ford built vehicles that were worse than its predecessors, they would be out of business. But I get it, it’s fun to joke around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might be right but I just cant agree with the new looks over the last 21 years this truck is been designed, it looked like a proper truck based SUV through out all first 3 generations, this last one you & I both can agree looks like an oversized crossover.