Expy kicking ass on this trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Coming up with aces all around. Second trip with it. Last was pulling an RV. This time just the bikes on the back. Lift glass has been invaluable. Guys complained about it on here and should wait until they have a rack in the back to judge. It was already useful everyday anyway.

drive modes helped out on curvy roads. Wish ford would send an update over the air that would allow sport suspension and normal trans shifting.

never had a need for a nav system until now. No cell service but that thing got us home from middle of nowhere. Tried to send us down a logging road, but we passed on that deal and it recovered to get us back to base easily.

dial gear shift has been handy yet again, no idea why the hate for it. He ten speed connnected to it has a good gear for every situation. One thing I don’t like is it seeMs to lug a lot and I’m left waiting for it to grab a gear. I find that strange it will allow the engine to bog that much, at least in normal mode that’s the case. I never use eco so can’t comment on that.

be interested to check mpg. Indicating 19 so far with a lot of mixed driving and even idling a lot at a grocery and kiddos napping a bit. It was claiming 22-24 average for awhile on the interstate running 75.

we had this thing packed to the brim by the time we got a weeks groceries for this farm house we rented. Impressed at all we crammed in there.

all in all this has been the most handy vehicle we had.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought my Expy as an experiment. I have always had a truck as my main ride and my wife has always had a small SUV. I have had mine for a year now and I love it. It’s a good looking, comfortable, gear hauling, towing beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have owned 4 previous, solid axle Expys.

While not inexpensive, they did A LOT for the money. It is an even more amazing machine in its current form, and while I have several druthers (sorry, the dial shifter is awful, and for sure one of my top three don't likes). But for what I paid for this extra over a comparable Tahoe (4wd, HD tow pack), the extra $10K I paid (I got her $8K under MSRP but $10K more than Tahoes I was looking at) this feels like this was the much better choice for the money--but it can still be looked upon as a relatively close race.

1. Larger
2. Much more power
3. Higher towing
4. More cargo capacity
5. Better looking (subjective)
6. Better fuel economy (10speed)
7. Advanced/smarter AWD/4WD system (FX4)
8. Advanced towing/backup camera (HD Tow Pack)
9. Better build quality
10. Quieter
11. Higher overall accolades in the mags/YouTubes
12. Easier pax ingress/egress

**Note, some issues have been addressed in the '21 Tahoe but at what price point?**

Last edited:

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was thinking about this the other day. In the past few months we've towed our travel trailer (~7000lbs) several times, taken a family vacation (fully loaded with bikes on the back), transported a mattress on the roof, and driven on the beach. I feel like the Expy can do just about anything I throw at it and do it well. It's been great having such a versatile vehicle.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have owned 4 previous, solid axle Expys.

While not inexpensive, they did A LOT for the money. It is an even more amazing machine in its current form, and while I have several druthers (sorry, the dial shifter is awful, and for sure one of my top three don't likes). But for what I paid for this extra over a comparable Tahoe (4wd, HD tow pack), the extra $10K I paid (I got her $8K under MSRP but $10K more than Tahoes I was looking at) this feels like this was the much better choice for the money--but it can still be looked upon as a relatively close race.

1. Larger
2. Much more power
3. Higher towing
4. More cargo capacity
5. Better looking (subjective)
6. Better fuel economy (10speed)
7. Advanced/smarter AWD/4WD system (FX4)
8. Advanced towing/backup camera (HD Tow Pack)
9. Better build quality
10. Quieter
11. Higher overall accolades in the mags/YouTubes

Agree with many of your points personally but to be fair....The Tahoe has an optional 420 horsepower 6.2 and also has a 10 speed on both engines. All 4WD Tahoe’s come with 4Auto and a G80 automatic locking rear axle. I’d say the Tahoe wins on 4WD since the locker doesn’t require user input and is standard on all trucks.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agree with many of your points personally but to be fair....The Tahoe has an optional 420 horsepower 6.2 and also has a 10 speed on both engines. All 4WD Tahoe’s come with 4Auto and a G80 automatic locking rear axle. I’d say the Tahoe wins on 4WD since the locker doesn’t require user input and is standard on all trucks.
There’s NO locker available on the 2021s! The best you can get is a Z71 with one of them pseudo-lockers where they play with the brakes... Oh, wait, you wanted the 6.2 and the Z71? That’ll be a nope.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s NO locker available on the 2021s! The best you can get is a Z71 with one of them pseudo-lockers where they play with the brakes... Oh, wait, you wanted the 6.2 and the Z71? That’ll be a nope.

Really they got rid of the G80? All 15-20 4WD units had the locker standard.....

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh, wait. I was wrong. The pseudo-locker thing is only available on the Yukon AT4. You get a mechanical LSD on the Suburban. Oh, wait, that's the Suburban and you said Tahoe. I'd better go digging into the Tahoe specs to see if it's different yet again (for no apparent reason other than to make the reviews and ads say that anything you want is available from GM while they actually make no trucks in the actual configuration one might want...)