Exterior mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCP2018

Reaction score
First mod was a full frontal LED conversion. Headlight are night and day, and best bang for the buck so far. Installed bug shield, rain visors and a rear step bumper protector; I like to call this group my “dad mods”. Upgraded stock Goodyear’s to Defender LTX, also a night and day difference.

Next up is completing a full LED conversion, brakes, tow mirrors and upgrading to Max Tow components, including rear axle. We are planning on pulling a TT at some point.

Axle Folly

Reaction score
I'm curious about your headlights. The stock low beams on our 2017 drive my wife and I nuts - I guess it's the "projector" that makes a horizontal line so you can't see the road up a hill ahead. Do your new lights solve that?

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I'm curious about your headlights. The stock low beams on our 2017 drive my wife and I nuts - I guess it's the "projector" that makes a horizontal line so you can't see the road up a hill ahead. Do your new lights solve that?
Theres really nothing to solve, Projectors have a cutoff to keep the light out of oncoming traffic's eyes. Reflector headlights also have a cutoff but just isn't as defined as a projector. Put some quality HID bulbs in and don't look back

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Its a drawback from having the light assemblies sit so high above traffic....no matter how you point em, theyre still pointed somewhat-down

At least pre-facelift models had swappable foglights, perfect for whatever obnoxiously bright headlight LED bulb or sealed 4" LED projector you could find on the cheap

For a 17, your two options are: STUPIDLY bright switchbacks in your blinker/DRL position or aftermarket lightbar pods run instead of foglights

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Theres really nothing to solve, Projectors have a cutoff to keep the light out of oncoming traffic's eyes. Reflector headlights also have a cutoff but just isn't as defined as a projector. Put some quality HID bulbs in and don't look back

Nope no amount of HID or LED lumens in a projector will help above the cutoff

Gotta get fogs or lightbars to cast light above the line

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Nope no amount of HID or LED lumens in a projector will help above the cutoff

Gotta get fogs or lightbars to cast light above the line
I wasn't suggesting it would put light above the cutoff but putting more light on the ground where it belongs and maybe increase his nighttime vision to a point where je doesn't want light above the cutoff

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wasn't suggesting it would put light above the cutoff but putting more light on the ground where it belongs and maybe increase his nighttime vision to a point where je doesn't want light above the cutoff

Their complaint was that they couldnt see anything above em when approaching a hill from flat ground... projectors pointing down all have that drawback

Reflector fogs or projector fogs pointed up a bit help with that, but nothing available that I know of for gen 3.5 with its lightbar LED fogs

OP
OP
J

JCP2018

Reaction score
We have the non-projector lights with LED inserts. The low beams are night and day, though we did have to have them adjusted due to binding oncoming traffic, now no issues. The high beams are not that great, though, just projects light a little further up the road. I had the same conversion done to my 2012 E350 and it was a drastic difference between low and highs; much better assemblies IMO.

OP
OP
J

JCP2018

Reaction score
Until we hit the lottery, or I find a better job, the mods are few and far between. However, one that I want to try is changing the mirror caps, either painting them or applying a chrome cover. I'm going to get a temporary coating and try the paint first.

I also hate the roof rails; don't know if we'll ever need them, they come close to the garage door, and removing them would really clean up the outside. Just don't have anyplace to store them right now.

At some point (when the lottery train pull into the station) I'm looking at upgrading to 20's, possibly lowering the suspension 2", finishing out the LED conversion, and upgrading to a big brake kit from an F150 (since aftermarket support for the EXPY is about zero).

I also want to get some ideas about paint or body mods; I can't just look at a blank canvas and have a masterpiece emerge. I would like to lean more towards Euro styling.