Extremely poor shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

birdman45331

Reaction score
My 97 Expedition will not shift into gears properly. You go to take off and it will run up to 4500 or more rpms before it will shift. If you take off slowly and ease on fuel it will shift sooner. Then it gets up to shifting into overdrive and sometimes wont. I have had the tranny rebuilt and the abs speed sensor replaced. It also has new exhaust manifolds and plugs and wires.

Can anyone please help!!! I have a vss to put on, but have no idea where it goes. Really like vehicle, but will have to get rid of if I cant get it running right.

Someone please help.

jayhawk2014

Reaction score
I read on the F150 Forum that a bad VSS can cause rough/erratic shifting, and that it should be located on the rear diff. somewhere.

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sounds like a bad sensor somewhere. Maybe a throttle position sensor? If the computer thinks that you have your foot to the floor it will probably hold the gears to redline before shifting.

trdragons44

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the vss is located on the tailshaft housing on the rear of the transfer case. here is a pic
VSS.png