Factory amplifier bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jay574

Reaction score
Hi guys.......I have a 1998 Expedition with the Premium Sound and need some help on what to do about the factory amp. I have an Alpine CDA-7894 head unit. It has their V-Drive amplifier system so it should put out some decent power. The problem with the factory amp is with this head unit putting out a stronger signal the factory amp is pushing the interior speakers to their limit before 20 on the volume. Having an aftermarket subwoofer system makes this a bit difficult. I need to have the interior speakers peaking around the same level as the subs. I want to bypass the factory amp. Can any of you guys tell me where it is located?. Also I have seen bypass harnesses but am not sure wich one I need. If any of you guys have been through this before I would love to hear what I need to do. All of this will be temporary untill I can get another amp and speakers. Thanks

Last edited:

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The factory amp is located in the cargo area on the right side where the jack is. You will see the "speaker cover" where the factory sub is. Pull that cover off GENTLY and the amp is there.

OP
OP
J

jay574

Reaction score
Originally posted by lakmflx
The factory amp is located in the cargo area on the right side where the jack is. You will see the "speaker cover" where the factory sub is. Pull that cover off GENTLY and the amp is there.

I don't have the MACH option I have the Premium. In 98 only the MACH had the subwoofer. I will check if it is back there though.

OP
OP
J

jay574

Reaction score
Actually the rear amplifier is for a MACH system only. The interior speaker amplifier is right behind and below the temp control panel. This is all according to my Chilton manual.

jsbaker

Reaction score
The amp is behind the temp controls. Saw mine yesterday when I was installing my sirius tuner on my 98. How you go about accessing is beyond me, looked like you might have to remove the console to get at it.

OP
OP
J

jay574

Reaction score
I was kinda afraid of that. I got the Metra bypass harness 70-5513. I am gonna look closer at it this weekend. I am hoping I can unplug it without having to remove it.