Factory LED light issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reese Ballou

Reaction score
Hello!
I have an issue with the LED DRL light strip flickering on my driver side headlamp assembly. Now, I know that they’re LED and they naturally have a flicker, but this is way more noticeable on the drivers side compared to the passengers side. I took a slo-mo video to show the difference in flickering. https://youtu.be/6849xo0NjV4

My other issue has to do with my drivers side brake light. The top part of the red has a section that just doesn’t work, and it looks like there’s something physically in the spot but I don’t know how to look further into it

upload_2021-4-6_19-55-29.jpeg

You can see on my passenger side that it works all the way to the edge
upload_2021-4-6_19-56-3.jpeg

Here is what it looks like without the light on, you can see it’s a little darker in that spot
upload_2021-4-6_19-57-3.jpeg

Does anyone have any ideas or insight?

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is this a brand new truck? Is it still under warranty? That’ll be your best bet. Those are sealed units and not really user serviceable.

Matthew Abrams

Reaction score
Following. Curious to know the issue here as it seems too coincidental that you are facing separate issues re: lighting on the same side of the vehicle.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd try doing a search on here. I think this was discussed here before and as I remember, it should be covered by warranty, but seems you have to fight a bit. Very expensive part. If I recall, corporate has to ok it.

It's interesting because on mine is the opposite. Left side tail light works fully, right side now has part of it "burnt" out at the top. I don't know when that changed, because it used to be fully lit.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
man that's silly... Definitely hope yours is under warranty, otherwise here's a $1k plastic housing with $10 (if that) worth of LED's that can last a few years... I know LED this and that is the rage, but I'm starting to wish we could go back to user replaceable incandescent, or at least user replaceable LED, that is if the quality is this low.

Frankly, its kinda like the LED bulbs for your house. They say they save you $200 in electricity over their life, which is how we make it viable to spend 10x vs. an incandescent but I don't know about you guys, but I write service dates on LED bulbs. They usually still die within a year, not the 5yrs the payback talks about.

You just gave me another thing to pay close attention to :)

OP
OP
R

Reese Ballou

Reaction score
WOW that’s insane how identical that issue is! I bought mine in January 2021 and it has around 94k miles, so I’m not sure how my warranty stacks up to that, but knowing the other guy got some sort of resolution at least gives me hope on the tail light. Thanks everyone, I’ll keep you posted.