Faint Hum - Wheel Bearing Not Tight Enough?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Joros

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Expedition with 256K miles that has been well cared for since new. About month ago changed ONLY Front Left wheel Bearing, it was making quite a racket. I know there are torque specks on the bearing "HUB NUT" but did not have one handy while working on the vehicle. (I tightened the hub nut till I cound not anymore while spinning the wheel to assure proper seating, then backed off "hub nut 1/4 turn) This certainty fixed the noise problem but now month later when driving highway 70 MPH I hear a FAINT hum when driving straight. If I move the steering wheel ever so slightly to the LEFT, to switch lanes, the hum disappears. Of course I am on the left drivers side and feel that the slight humm sound is coming from the left wheel bearing that I just replaced. Question is : since I did not tighten the "hub nut: to manufacture specks, would have anything to do with bearing not riding right and making noise? Or is it my Right wheel bearing that is transferring the sound? Right bearing has not been changed. Again ever so slight movement to the LEFT at highway speeds stops the slight humm. Any help before tear into the vehicle would be appreciated!

Misfit

Reaction score
You can rent/borrow torque wrenches from most parts stores. Even buy pretty cheap at harbor freight..I'd do that, torque it to spec and see if the noise goes away or not. It could be the other wheel bearing, which is why I never replace just 1 of something like that, and never recommend people do that either.

OP
OP
M

Mike Joros

Reaction score
Misfit, thanks for reply. I will get get tork wrench from Advance. It is definitely in front left which is the bearing i replaced. These is a ever so slight vibration on the gas brake pedal at 70 MPH Vibration also goes away when i make lane change to left All tires just recently balanced and steering wheel does not shake it is simply goes and comes with the hum. I am personally thinking I got a bad hub bearing. And is starting to go. Unless it is All Wheel Drive transfer case it is all on the left front of vehicle

OP
OP
M

Mike Joros

Reaction score
My view on older vehicles is do not fix what is not broke. I will not replace things for general maintenance for exactly situations like this...(if I changed both hub bearing both would potentially have same problem with cheep import bearings) Also you are opening yourself up to can of worms if something else does not go right. I know people that tried to make a simple fix and have their vehicle and it is off road for week. And they are asking me for a ride... sometimes it is required to change both sides then I agree in this case it is not. ANT BROKE DONT Fix it.