Fan Clutch issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ivan5

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced this. 07 EL Limited. Fan clutch is barely moving when the engine is running but then randomly goes into high speed when the engine warms up which works fine. Ac is on and the fan clutch is original

athensdawgs81

Reaction score
Sounds like it's working as it should. The fan should not run full bore all the time. Especially if the engine has not warmed up. Are your coolant temps good and AC working ok?

twodollars

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Believe that's a pcm controlled clutch, level of engagement controlled by pcm based on coolant temp and ac demand.

bodabdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that fan clutches are widely misunderstood.
It would be easy to direct bolt a fan to a pulley. Think flex-fans, spacers.... It would move a ton of air but it would use a good bit of power all the time, even when not needed.
The fan clutch is a mechanical means to only spin the fan (engage the fan clutch) when needed, saving fuel and power. It can be engaged by air temperature, a computer, or even air pressure depending on the application.
The end result is the same when everything is working correctly, the fan only engages when it is needed and coasts when not needed.

bodabdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That looks pretty lazy to me. You should hear it roar if you stab the throttle. Looking slow and having hi a/c pressure point to the same issue, a clutch that's not engaging.
Looking at rock auto I agree with #twodollars, it's electric so either a pcm or fan controller is supposed to be sending it a signal.
Check your wiring and connectors closely, see if you're getting a signal to the clutch, and see if the clutch responds to the correct signal.

Last edited:

mbtech2003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get one off rock auto. Not too bad to replace. Prob just worn out. Or leaking oil. Doesn’t take much for them to not work correctly
IMG_1752.png

Dustin Gebhardt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How is your AC performing? I had weak AC performance, especially at low vehicle speeds and while idling. I also didn’t see the fan spinning up when the AC pressures went high like your pressure does. I replaced the clutch with a new one (non Motorcraft) but that didn’t fix the issue. I ended up replacing the temperature sensor in the evaporator (behind the glove box). This fixed my tan issue and only for about $20 and 20 minutes of work. Now the fan spins up when the AC pressures climb and my AC vent temperature is back in the 40’s.