fast turn signal flash signal on 1 side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rfm77555

Reaction score
2007 EXP ED BAUER 5.4
My turn signal only on the right side flashes fast. I have checked by looking that all bulbs appear to be functioning. Easily confused by all the contradictory postings about flasher relay or not present on 3rd gen and also LED bulb replacements of which I have had none.

Help / advice appreciated

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2007 EXP ED BAUER 5.4
My turn signal only on the right side flashes fast. I have checked by looking that all bulbs appear to be functioning. Easily confused by all the contradictory postings about flasher relay or not present on 3rd gen and also LED bulb replacements of which I have had none.

Help / advice appreciated

Usually the rapid flashing means a defective bulb and/or socket. I would remove each bulb and ensure the socket is clean, then reinstall the bulb. You may have a bulb that is failing and causing the rapid flashing.

rexster314

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Start on the ride side flasher circuit. Something's amiss on that side, typically a burnt out bulb, sometimes a corroded socket if it's gotten wet, or a grounded wire

OP
OP
R

rfm77555

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies.....
I have bought a couple of each bulb type and will begin changing and corrosion checking each bulb and socket and post back with results.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies.....
I have bought a couple of each bulb type and will begin changing and corrosion checking each bulb and socket and post back with results.

If the sockets are clean and dry, you may want to put a small amount of silicone dielectric grease inside the sockets before you reinstall the bulbs.

OP
OP
R

rfm77555

Reaction score
Okay so bulbs replaced this afternoon as follows with no help:
Right Rear 4157 (brake/turn signal/running light)
Right front 3157 (turn signal/running light)
Right front 194 (side marker running light)

I didn't replace the headlight bulb or the fog light bulb (both work/appear fine) as well as the rear reverse light

I also didn't replace or find a way to check the side mirror turn signal light (looks like LED line of lights under the side mirror, but seems to be fine)

All bulb sockets appear "heated" (plastic discoloration blending from dark to grey as you move away from the terminal end of the socket plug) but this seems same on both sides

Sockets were all dry w/o any signs of dielectric grease, guess it worth a try to pick some up tomorrow and try again with a bit of grease in each socket

any additional advice appreciated

OP
OP
R

rfm77555

Reaction score
Thanks for the info

When I activate the hazard lights, all lights flash at the normal speed on both sides.

Yes, I do have a multimeter and have some experience with wiring diagrams.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That tells you the wiring to and from the bulbs are in good shape. I'll look at the diagrams tonight to make sure it is wired the way I think it is, but I would check the mfs & harness next.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rfm77555

Reaction score
How would I check the multi-function switch ???
I don't want to throw money at parts hoping to find the problem.
Is there voltage testing that might lead me to MFS as root cause ???
As far as harness goes, it visually seems fine from what I saw during bulb troubleshooting. Again would I be looking for resistance in the wiring or voltages at specific points ???

The right side fast flash issue did start intermittently for say 1 week before becoming constant as it is now.