Faulty Alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

Hi there. I'm a new member & I have a '99 Eddie Bauer 4X4 w/c I just purchase from a local Ford dealer a little over a month ago. Last weekend I had a problem starting the truck & when I jump start it, it will just die after a couple of minutes. I bought a new battery & was going to drive it to the dealer & get the alternator replaced but since the distance where I was at that time to the dealership was about an hour drive, the new battery's power got drained again. Although I was able to get it towed to the local dealership & got it replaced & since this is my first time owning one, is the alternator on an Expedition really a problem of owners?

Thanks.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
gmh8er:

Not much on the forums about the alternator that I have seen. I have a '98 EB (~80,000 mi), and mine went out about a month ago (good timing too, becuase it happened about 1 hour into a 9 hour vacation road trip!!!). It was just the bearing, which caused an unbelievable racket until I could get it replaced.

I guess what I am saying is don't worry about that item, as there are plenty of other items that you will find discussed that cause folks some problems...but all in all the Exby is a great truck!!

OP
OP
G

rwinch,
Thanks for your reply, I've no doubt it is a great truck & I'm really happy with it, I guess it was just a bad experience on the alternator dying b/c I was with my family then when it gave & it got us stranded in the middle of nowhere. We were actually on our way back to L.A. from Vegas on a Sunday afternoon where everything were closed. Anyway, like I said it was just probably one of those isolated incident (hopefully) & I still love my Expy & will keep it for a long time no matter what. Take care & let's hope that our alternator will be on our side this time.

malcoll

Reaction score
I have replaced the alternator in our 99 EB Expedition twice..... it currently has 99,400 miles... and I am some very STRANGE electrical problems....... I am thinking the alternator might be going bad again?????

Since it is Christmas Eve... I am going to wait till Friday and take it to my mechanic and have him check it.... if it's the alternator again..... I'm gonna be irritated..........

Happy Holidays,
Lance

OP
OP
G

How much does a alternator normally cost. I got a 98 EXPY EDDIE BAUER.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had to replace mine this summer (I have a '98 EB as well), while I was travelling, and on a Saturday. I luckily was able to find a Lincoln/Mercury dealership that could take me, and replace on the quick to get us going again. Total cost ~ $350.00. Actually not bad for an emergency repair on the weekend with no other option.

I am sure you buy one and install it yourself for much less though.