Feels like its misfiring but no codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steelnewfie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was getting the same stutter around 1600RPM; it's not the TC. Like a rumble strip. Was lucky enough to throw a code and then cleaned the threads and reseated the plug on that misfiring cylinder. Now I have full power, steady at 1600 but I get a sharp, momentary drop around 3000 under medium-hard acceleration and the idle is still rough.

Previously I was able to get it to misfire almost every time by going on a slight uphill around 55mph; torque converter locked and lugging about as low as you can get it without shifting. This produces about the leanest burn these engines are capable of (from what I've read).

I've replaced five of the eight coils and all eight plugs. Other three coil packs arrive on Tuesday. Motorcraft plugs and coils; I would not bother with anything else due to these finicky 3v's. Warning they retail for a hundred bucks a coil.

Once I get the three last coils on, if it is still misfiriing I may drive it straight into Halifax Harbour. See how it does submerged.

Cancelled a 3000Km Xmas road trip because of my 'preventative' plug change...

Let you know how I make out.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like I've replied before on other threads, you need to check for an intake leak somewhere under the hood. Spray all vaccum hoses, intake manifold, basicly anywhere in the intake stream. You can use carb clean, wd40, or if your carefull apropane torch not lit , done outdoors to check leaks. Just for ha ha's change fuel and air filter if you haven't already, check fuel pump pressure at Shrader valve. Also clean your maf sensor with a maf sensor cleaner. These SUVs aren't amphicars, and at over 5,000 lbs, don't see it floating too well in the river. Besides selling one of these in good shape is tough enough. Can you imagine with ad saying minor water damage! You'll get it figured out, were all rooting for you!keep us posted when you get back, The Chrismoose!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steelnewfie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Haha... Thanks moose.

I've literally read every thread in the second gen section. Haven't found one outlining where the major vacuum hoses are on the 3V; lots of info on first gen trucks though.

Does anyone have a link to something which could show me where all the vacuum hoses are? I realize the second gen 3V's do NOT suffer from the PCV elbow problem that plagued the earlier tritons.

I am currently in the process of obtaining a shop manual.

I did try the old school smoking a cigarette and blowing into engine bay to look for disruptions but there was too much ambient wind, if that is the proper term.

Thanks!

black 4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So my new accel cop arrived earlier today and because of the ticking noise I also went and bought a new set of Ac Delco single platinum rapid fire spark plugs. I replaced them all and the truck runs great. Weeeellll...except now when it got warm idle dropped around 500 rpm and check engine light came on. I didn't get the check the code yet but my guess is it's the egr valve.

So far I replaced all the cop and the plugs, cleaned the MAF, cleaned the throttle body and the flaps, replaced the idle air control valve and the new air filter. I checked all the vacuum lines (the ones I can see) and they are all good. I'm hoping tomorrow codes will say some other issue besides the egr valve because it's is a pain in the ass to replace.

I know there are instructions for it but I couldn't find anything cleaning the egr valve without taking it apart.

I don't know about the expeditions but the take out the egr valve I have to remove the entire air intake. On the other hand they put the idle air control valve right in front. Took about 10 seconds to replace. :biggrin:

My new cops. :)

38A36C06-8533-46A7-B6C9-DEEC0109D50C_zpsns77c1ep.jpg

ebexpedition18

Reaction score
If its a soft miss, minor shudder, clean your injectors. Also check resistance across all injectors (pull the leads, and check resistance across the injector) I don't recall spec, but check them all if ones not in line.. then.. look at that one.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So let me get this straight. The ticking sound was from a spark plug? Sounds like it must have been one of the coils arcing. Wow, I thought I had bad luck with simple mechanical woes! Is the second generation egr that tight in the back? My first gen 5.4 looks like you can remove it. Before you remove it, why not do all the basic tests first. 1. Make sure vacuum from hose going up to it. 2. Add vacuum to egr, see if it opens, and holds vacuum. 3. Motor should stumble and die, or want to with vacuum applied. If these 3 three tests pass, then maybe you've got some carbon or gunk, making the pintle inside the egr stick. You might have problem with egr solenoid, or dpfe. Let us know, your almost there.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sucks. They don't make anything easy on these SUVs. Well let's hope it doesn't come to that.