First Car, need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have no clue what I'm doing and have tried Google, but I want some honest answers. I am replacing the alternator and have been told I should replace the battery and starter as well. Is this true? Also, my blinkers aren't working. My judgment tells me its a fuse issue. Thoughts on both topics appreciated.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Only replace parts that have been proven "failed".
Load test the battery - if it is out of spec then replace.
Bench test the starter - same deal, doesn't work then replace.
Anytime you are troubleshooting electrical issues the first step is to read the current battery voltage with a meter. That way you know what you are starting with.

We also need to know the year and trim model you have so we can look at the correct wiring diagrams.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Like stamp is said, troubleshooting through part replacement is an expensive way to go, and new parts often bring new problems. If you don't know how to troubleshoot and test parts, paying an honest guy to do this is worth every dollar and will save you big in the long run.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does it start and run? The blinkers could be fuse or work the emergency flashers on and off a few times. I have had a number of fords that get crap in there and the blinkers don't flash or light up and that cures it for a long time.

While on this topic...do the flashers work?

You could even have a bad flasher in for the turn signals. See if the light is coming on and not flashing of not coming on at all.

If it starts and runs...it should have about 12.7-13.2 volts at battery with engine and key off.
After you start it it should be at least 13.7-14.2 if the alt is putting out.
We all like it when they put out.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if the car starts, i wouldn't pull the starter. whoever told you that is just silly. i wouldn't even pull it for a bench test.
if you had to replace the alternator, then you should get the battery checked. a bad alternator can kill a battery. not just run it down, but actually kill it. if it charges up and retains the charge, then you should be ok with it. just be aware if it becomes unable to hold a charge that the bad alternator could have hurt it.