First Heavier Tow -- Observations and a few Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marqui3

Reaction score
Hi Saltwater Soul,

About tow haul mode and gears. We did a 10,000 miles trip to Alaska last year and averaged 10.5ish mpg (imperial gallons hers in Canada) on a 30 foot 7200# loaded TT. I found that the Expedition had all the power needed to handle all of the hills and mountain passes on this trip (there are some long pulls in Alaska) and found that I could make speed on the worst grades, just depended on how much gas fumes you wanted to leave behind.

For myself when I tow my TT I will tow I tow/haul mode and I will lock out 8th 9 and 10th gear and run in 7th. This seemed to give me best gas millage. I usually tow at 60 mph and in 7th gear this keep the rpm’s 2300 - 2500 range which is the sweet spot for torque on this engine. If I don’t lock out gears it would tow in 8th gear most of the time.

As far as squat, I would not tow anything with a tongue weight of over 500# without a weight distribution hitch. It is just much safer.

By the way, at 7200# my TT is just about max weight for the Expedition, when you consider passengers ( my wife and I) and camping gear in the back.

Hope this helps.

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Saltwater Soul,

For myself when I tow my TT I will tow I tow/haul mode and I will lock out 8th 9 and 10th gear and run in 7th. This seemed to give me best gas millage. I usually tow at 60 mph and in 7th gear this keep the rpm’s 2300 - 2500 range which is the sweet spot for torque on this engine. If I don’t lock out gears it would tow in 8th gear most of the time.

Hope this helps.
That’s interesting about locking out higher gears. We have a 34’ airstream and it’s so aerodynamic, the Expy sometimes jumps up to 10th while towing. I have found that the fuel economy gets worse when I’m gears 7-8 than 9-10 regardless.

How can you burn less fuel per mile by making the engine spin faster than it wants to?

Fred Moore

Reaction score
Saltwater,
I pull a travel trailer with similar weight as the one you describe. My 2017 King Ranch (HD towing package was standard) has no issues pulling it. I do stay around 60-65mph and in tow-mode. It is not the vehicle’s capabilities that define my decision to limit my speed, but the limitations of the trailer tires. Some tires list a max speed of 65mph. I have had 2 trailer blow-outs on the same trip making me very cautious. This speed seems to be the “sweet spot” for overall handling too.

When pulling, I have gotten as good as 14mpg and as poor as 11mpg. Starts and stops make the difference.

I do use a Reese WDH with anti-sway built in. The only modification I have made to the Expy was to add SumoSprings to supplement the rear end support. To sum it up, I find the Expedition to be a very competent towing vehicle.

Thanks to all who have served this country honorably. This day is for you!

Last edited:

Matthew Marlowe

Reaction score
That’s interesting about locking out higher gears. We have a 34’ airstream and it’s so aerodynamic, the Expy sometimes jumps up to 10th while towing. I have found that the fuel economy gets worse when I’m gears 7-8 than 9-10 regardless.

You are managing to tow a 34ft airstream with an expy? Looking for a new trailer and have been told that 25ft is ideal for expy, 28ft is pushing limits, and 30ft is either unsafe or long term bad for vehicle health.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s really just if it’s within weight capacity and the aero of an airstream is second to none.

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are managing to tow a 34ft airstream with an expy? Looking for a new trailer and have been told that 25ft is ideal for expy, 28ft is pushing limits, and 30ft is either unsafe or long term bad for vehicle health.

As mentioned above, weight and aerodynamics are much more important considerations than length, although length is indicative of weight. You do need the right hitch setup to tow safely; we had ours done at CanAm RV, internationally renowned hitch experts. Give Andy there a call if you need suggestions or reassurance.