Blue Cruise observations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wayfun

Reaction score
I left today in a trip from Ky to FL on I75. This is the first time I’ve been able to really test the system. I use it frequently with success on the one mapped road near my home. When I got on I75 this morning it was raining lightly off and on. I would set the cruise and it would go hands free and a 1/4 mile later it would kick off. A mile or two later it would repeat that. It was very annoying trying to use it. This continued until the rain stopped around Knoxville. From there to Atlanta it worked perfect. So I am assuming that the rain messes with the cameras and sensors.

Not sure if it’s related or not, but once in Northern TN I was approaching a sweeping curve and the cruise somehow jumped to 85. The vehicle accelerated like hell into the curve. When I looked down it was almost to 85 mph. That was a little unsettling. When I get to my destination I think I’ll drop in at a Ford dealer and let them check for updates.

Attachments

• IMG_4832.jpeg
    IMG_4832.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 27

mwar99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At least you actually have hand free Blue Cruise. I can't count on my hands and toes how many people in the last week have posted on FB that they have Blue Cruise when all they have is the adaptive cruise and lane keep assist. It's very scary how many people think they have it and don't.

OP
OP
W

Wayfun

Reaction score
To follow up, we arrived at our destination in FL tonight. Normally we stop for one night on the road when we make this trip. With Blue Cruise, it was a more relaxing drive, and the traffic wasn't too bad. So we drove the whole 950 miles in one day. Blue Cruise was the main reason I bought the Platinum trim. After getting south of Knoxville the cruise worked perfectly. At one point a car to my right front started to drift into my lane and the cruise hit the brakes forcefully and avoided a potential accident. I was looking to my left at the time and would not have seen the car coming over in time. I'm sold on BC. Now I want the update so that the turn signal can control lane changes.

Attachments

• IMG-4844.jpg
    IMG-4844.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 14

sixstring

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Regarding the picture on your dash...

How programmable is that display? are there different presets you can select from that will change the look of that screen? It seems pretty bland.

I rented a new Suburban a few months back and I was able to change the display and all its contents easily. Lots of different screens and info to select from. It was really slick. Also the android auto implementation with maps and stuff was excellent. I have not seen too much on the 23 plat. Android auto on the 2020 is crap - running sync 3.4.

nationalgallery

Full Access Members
Reaction score

How programmable is that display? are there different presets you can select from that will change the look of that screen? It seems pretty bland.
For BlueCruise, especially in hands free mode, the 2 cameras trained on your eyes watch you very carefully to make sure you're paying attention to what's ahead of you — the dash is deliberately not busy or flashy, which would distract your attention from the road.

OP
OP
W

Wayfun

Reaction score

I rented a new Suburban a few months back and I was able to change the display and all its contents easily. Lots of different screens and info to select from. It was really slick. Also the android auto implementation with maps and stuff was excellent. I have not seen too much on the 23 plat. Android auto on the 2020 is crap - running sync 3.4.
There are a few different screens available. I don’t think it’s as configurable as my previous Yukon.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just takes one module glitch for the steering wheel to turn sharply while going highway speeds in Blue Cruise or any manufacturer auto drive mode...

Not a fan of any type of feature that involves going against what I learned in basic driving class/lesson. Always keep your hands on the wheel. Havrnt seen any failure reports on this feature but I still dont trust it

sixstring

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In reality, Blue Cruise is fairly new technology and Ford is fairly new to self driving. It will take years before they get the kinks out. I'm happy with the direction that they are heading.

Old Dog

Reaction score
So far I’m enjoying the Blue Cruise on my 2022 Platinum. I have experienced no problems and with updates over Wi Fi. Had 2 updates in last 30 days. Currently on version 5.2.1 updated on 10/16/2023

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just takes one module glitch for the steering wheel to turn sharply while going highway speeds in Blue Cruise or any manufacturer auto drive mode...

Not a fan of any type of feature that involves going against what I learned in basic driving class/lesson. Always keep your hands on the wheel. Havrnt seen any failure reports on this feature but I still dont trust it

Takes just one moron who's on their phone or playing with their radio to cause an accident. A whole lot more of those going around than "glitches" in redundant systems.

Also, from a programming perspective, these systems have fail-safes so they avoid exactly what you're saying.
If the inputs are outside defined bounds, fails to driver
if the outputs are beyond defined bounds, fails to driver
if a solar flair happens and the computer goes down, fails to driver.
if the system tries to fail to driver and does not allow it, it disables the system, and defaults to driver.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire