First Road Trip in new 2014 KR.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimp

Reaction score
Just got back from 3500 mile road trip in my 2014.

For the most part I like the new version, but in some cases my 2003 was better.

First thing, cc has a wide range in the mountains. Set on 70 mph it drops to 65 before reacting and then over runs the set point (still going up hill) by over 5 mph. Got me a warning ticket (set on 74 and it hit 80 in a 70, that would have pissed me off). I also like to decend the back side of a pass a little fast, the 2014 would not let me do that, it compression braked the car on the down hill side (it took most of the first day to realize as long as I had it in cruse it would do that, kick it out of cruse and you can coast with minimal engine braking) Also the 03 evey push of the + button gave me 1 mph increase, on the 14 it might accelerate it might do nothing. In it's current state the cc is shit, will have it checked out next week or so by the dealer.

They removed the Oh-Shit Bar for the front seat passenger, it's a 4X4 not everyone uses it to pick the kids up at school. My wife really missed that bar. I also added skid plates when I bought the car, that was a waste of money. The should be called under body gravel deflectors, they are so thin and full of access holes that they added very little protection.

The interior is a lot smaller even with the same outside size. I really miss being able to reach the door pockets without opening the door and the center consol storage is a lot smaller than my 03. It is still very comfortable, just a little small.

The ride was very comfortable. On the highway it's like sitting in my living room chair, smooth ride, handles cross winds and rain well and has plenty of power for the mountains (will see how I feel on that when I pull my jeep out west next year). On the Colorado and Utah county roads it rides real smooth. While it is to new to really off road (3000 miles) we did take a lot of county roads that were mainly 4 to 6 inch rocks set in the mud, at a reasonable speed the ride was very good and with the added ground clearance of the 14 I can take it places the 03 could not go (I am considering the White Rim Trail when the new wears off in a year or two, the 03 never even considered)

It did not have the holding power of my 2003 in low range. The 03 set in low range and 1 gear would decend very steep grades under control without braking. The 14 you need to use the brakes, to bad, I guess Ford has to build for the majority of it's customers.

I really like the weather maps on the navigation system. We headed back and saw hugh thunder heads in our path, checked the weather maps. They indicated hail so we stopped for dinner to let it pass.

Don't like the navigation maps, very incomplete (wife used old Garmin that she was use to and it had much better maps than the Ford system, we have the latest for the 14) Ford needs to beg Garmin for some real maps, I would hate to have to carry the OLD Garmin as a back up. (According to the ford maps I drove in a farm field TO GET HOME, hell the road is older than I am and Garmin has it on their maps.)

Mileage was 17.9 indicated and 17.6 actual for the trip, mountain, back roads and highway, the 03 would have been in the 15's so much improved gas mileage.

Overall I like my new Expedition and am not sorry I got it, just a little disapointed in a few items.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's an interesting review for sure and I'll throw in my input, this is my 3rd 07 plus expedition, we also run a pretty good size fleet of them. My current expedition is a '13 KR 4x4, 3.73s, SLS rear suspension etc. I also elected to use the factory skid plates. I've had it about 19 months and 12,000 miles. I looked hard at the LX570 and QX80 as well before deciding on this mostly to help with customer perception.

I can tell you the build quality has gone DOWN since 2007/2009, this truck has more rattles and shakes than any before and it's spread pretty well across all of or 13 / 14 models so get ready for lots of squeaks and rattles to start. Also since 2003 the interior has shrunk for many reasons but you can thank the addition of additional electronics, air bags, and safety features for that.

Cruise control, yes it's an issue for Ford. My suburbans and silverados are always within 1 mph uphill down hill, trailer no trailer, doesn't matter they are pretty dang close even on the steepest grades. Down hill the cruise also sucks and does over speed, 3 mph maybe.

Ride, I suppose is subjective, it's ok. I have logged a few miles riding right of ways and haul roads. I have no issues with hill holding, IE 1st gear low range, you need to have that checked there is a TSB that will most likely impact this complaint. The right of ways and haul roads are pretty rough on vehicles in general, more so than even the average trail like those in Canyonlands. I've had issues with my truck, again not a true 4x4 as noted in other threads, on the lines of brakes over heating when in exceptionally loose underfoot conditions for extended drive times.

Power, I find your comments interesting. I feel the expedition is under powered even running premium or E85. Looking around at the competitors for the King Ranch Models you have the Denali, Escalade, etc, all of which hit sub 7 sec 0-60 runs and can with a good driver hit 14 sec 1/4 mile times. My wife has a QX80 and even though at 1,000 lbs heavier will walk away from a stop, roll or any other combination and return better fuel economy doing it. I would say 2nd to build quality or a lack there of power is the biggest complaint I have.

Towing is not very exciting either. Throwing another 6,000 lbs on the back of a already overwhelmed engine is rough going in the mountains.

I also agree that the maps suck, no one does a better job at the navigation game than chrysler, they use garmin and Ford needs to look hard at another vendor for their maps.

OP
OP
J

jimp

Reaction score
I washed it today and noticed that the mirror cover was loose, so I guess I'll get ready for the rattels to start. Really did not want to hear that.

As far as power goes, keep in mind I have been driving a 2003 ( alot less power) and the 14 is ok without a trailer, I suppect as you said Jeep and trailer will really tax the engine.

FordCustSrvc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I washed it today and noticed that the mirror cover was loose, so I guess I'll get ready for the rattels to start. Really did not want to hear that.

Hello jimp,

Have you contacted your Ford Dealer regarding the rattle? I'm going to put you in touch with your regional customer service manager, who'll work with you and the servicing dealer on a resolution. Please send me a PM with your full name, daytime phone number, VIN, updated mileage, and dealership.

Todd

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Yeah enjoy the crap build quality...mine has had the following repairs:

Trans pulled for pump replacement due to TSB slow shift.

Major frame of chassis issue with enough flex to cause door contact at the chassis.

Navigation system replaced due to tracking issues

3 power fold mirrors replaced, either failed or squeaked while folding.

power lift stopped working then broke, new lift mechanism installed after I had to break the original to get the gate to close at the store.

rear CV seals failed spewing gear oil all over the garage floor.

Front park sensors replaced because they would randomly activate in the rain.

If it wasn't a "company" truck I'd be pissed, for some spending 35,000 on a truck is quite the investment and these are issues that shouldn't occur in 2014 with a relatively archaic design with minimal technology. Ford brings the suck with build quality these days.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cruise control, yes it's an issue for Ford. My suburbans and silverados are always within 1 mph uphill down hill, trailer no trailer, doesn't matter they are pretty dang close even on the steepest grades. Down hill the cruise also sucks and does over speed, 3 mph maybe.
I find this interesting as well. I have an 07 EL and found the cruise control to be superior to the Suburban/Yukon Enterprise rentals that I have driven. It seemed that the GMs were always in the top gear, wanting to hold on to it too long, letting the cruise control lag (up or down).

Your build quality comments make me glad I have an 07! Maybe they changed the cruise control logic since then also.

OP
OP
J

jimp

Reaction score
I thought I would add to my commits after having it for two years, not as happy.

I took my first towing road trip this summer, pulling a 4000 pound jeep on a 2000 pound trailer 6000 pounds well under the limit.

First off, Ford decided that it is OK to route the wiring harness on the bottom of the frame. Drove down a dirt road to the Colorado River in Utah. This road was relatively flat and smooth, being dirt it did have a few rocks. Well my Expedition kicked one of these rock up, hit the frame and cut my rear body wiring harness. It did this as I started from a stop to view the river. I know it was bad luck since I was only going a couple MPH, but it should not have happen. I took it in and the dealer put it back in the SAME place, I have since moved it to the top of the frame.

Second item, on the way back home I was informed that I was smoking going down the Highway. It turns out that the transmission blew a seal. Was informed that this never happens but it might be because I was towing my 6000 pound load though the mountains, BS.

I purchased this car to tow and I live on a dirt road, it it is not capable of doing either why did I spend $50,000 on it when a $15,000 Kia would be just as capable. I have been I ford owner most of my life, currently have a 96 Bronco, 96 F250 4X4, 2010 focus and this expedition. With my recent experience with the expedition and the focus I will likely be looking else where for my next car.

svfetter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Everyone has different experiences. Sorry yours have not been what you expected. I had a 2000 XLT and was able to upgrade to a 2011 XLT with the King Ranch wheel package. Other than terrible quality on the struts which have been replaced with Bilsteins, my 2011 is way better than my 2000 in virtually every way