First road trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18-FX4-GUY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Drove to Tucson this weekend about a 5-6 hour drive one way and towed a flat 15 foot trailer with a queen bed, love seat and full sized sofa. Overall road real nice and I Avg 16. loaded, back towing empty 16.9 mpg hand calc dashed showed 18mpg and 19mpg way home with driving 67 on Hwy 95 down to I -10 then 77 once I hit the 10 all the way to Tucson. It was a there and back one day kinda of trip. The way home driving at night major complaint is the factory low beams even with putting in LED for the trip you cant see more than 50 feet in front of you and I ended up running tire debris over, was unable to see in time to dodge. Coming out of my 2014 f150 with factory hid I barely used my highs in that truck and night driving nvr an issue. Once I got off the I-10 back on to the 95 not much traffic so I could use my high beams and actually see the road. The last hour of driving my bottom end started to get sore. I think since my Expedition not broke in only 2k miles the seats will get better, also I'll keep tweaking settings to get it right. Over all very happy with purchase drove great, towed fine. Only glaring fault if driving at night with only factory low beams on it is dangerous.

Yukon Joe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like a nice trip.
It's amazing that the towing mpg isn't better than the v8 competitor. But we probably didn't buy it for the mpg.

So the low beam light issue seems to not be a brightness issue, but more of a distance issue created by a low cut off of the projector housing.

@Yukon Joe

OP
OP
18-FX4-GUY

18-FX4-GUY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was happy with that mpg majority of it was 77 mph for about 240 miles the other 100 miles was around 67-70 mph. I'm towing my Tyrex 4 in a few weeks from now to Utah and I'll see what I get. I usually averaged 10mpg with my truck doing that same trip a lot and I can do a nice comparison then. Yes the cut off makes the distance fall off. We go to WA so I don't want to put super bright fogs that seemed to help in the other thread here, to me it defeats the purpose of fogs when u need them for fog.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Once ur engine completely breaks in, your mileage will def go up. At first, i could barely get the mpgs over 22. Last 2 road trips she avgs 25+ on the hwy and keeps getting better.

Aquineas

Reaction score
dlcorbett, is yours 4wd pray tell? It would be nice to know 24-25 were potentially achievable in the future, though I'm not counting on it with 4WD and tow package.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mines is 2wd, i dont off road and i know how to drive in snow lol. The 4wd probably eont get 24+, but if mine is capable of achieving better mpgs than the estimates once it broke in, im sure others are 2.

EricExpedition

Reaction score
Just finished a 6 hour trip from middle Georgia to the Florida panhandle. MAX FX4 but no trailer; just wife, son, dog and gear. 93 octane the last two tanks. Ran 60-65 on the back roads and kept it below 75 on the interstate. I could tell going over 70 starts to cut into the MPG. I shifted between Eco and Sport mode and disabled Auto Start/Stop. Trip numbers below. I would think a short wheelbase 4x2 could get 25 MPG or more.
IMG_20180831_120137.jpg

osteodoc08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I saw about the same as Eric on my trip from NW GA down to the FL panhandle earlier this summer. I do a lot of driving and have 16K on my Expy Max Ltd 4WD with heavy tow package

Yukon Joe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just finished a 6 hour trip from middle Georgia to the Florida panhandle. MAX FX4 but no trailer; just wife, son, dog and gear. 93 octane the last two tanks. Ran 60-65 on the back roads and kept it below 75 on the interstate. I could tell going over 70 starts to cut into the MPG. I shifted between Eco and Sport mode and disabled Auto Start/Stop. Trip numbers below. I would think a short wheelbase 4x2 could get 25 MPG or more.
View attachment 26474
When you went sport mode, did you take it out of 4 auto?

@Yukon Joe