First World Adaptive Cruise Control Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's what a driver is supposed to do. It reacts when the driver hasn't paid attention.

So like when I'm going around a left hand curve on a 4 lane highway and I'm in the left lane and passing a slower car to my right and it slams on MY brakes because it senses that car a lane over because of the curve and thinks it would be safer for me to get rear ended by the car behind me in the corner and be pushed into the median......

I'm sure its ok for some, but its just not my personal cup of tea! I'm just glad it can be shut off and remain off after a restart. My wifes Ford the stupid adaptive cruise has to be shut off EVERY SINGLE TIME you restart the engine. She get so infuriated, because you have to page thru like 3 menu pages to get to it and you nearly kill yourself shutting it off because you have to look away from the road for so long.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is exactly why they should give us options. You should be able to turn off the adaptive cruise control and have plain old regular Cruise like a normal vehicle. Cruise should simply increase throttle and keep you at the set speed and should let you Coast downhill and never apply the brakes.
It would be a very simple programming matter and one little switch on the dash or you getting glued it in the software for the set up with the other things on our displays in the menu today. Then you could have both types of cruise control.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So like when I'm going around a left hand curve on a 4 lane highway and I'm in the left lane and passing a slower car to my right and it slams on MY brakes because it senses that car a lane over because of the curve and thinks it would be safer for me to get rear ended by the car behind me in the corner and be pushed into the median......

I'm sure its ok for some, but its just not my personal cup of tea! I'm just glad it can be shut off and remain off after a restart. My wifes Ford the stupid adaptive cruise has to be shut off EVERY SINGLE TIME you restart the engine. She get so infuriated, because you have to page thru like 3 menu pages to get to it and you nearly kill yourself shutting it off because you have to look away from the road for so long.
Was playing with the interval early this AM on an errand and this very thing happened with shortest interval set. Reinforced that I don't really like anything other than the largest interval for this feature. I did the exact same thing again on a sharper turn in similar conditions with the largest interval and it didn't happen. Not sure if interval defaults to highest or not, but, that is the only usable setting for me, I think! Otherwise I'm driving... [emoji12] Honestly, I think this feature is really good for light highway traffic on long drives. Wonder if you can put the adaptive cruise on/off menu on your configurable screen?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is exactly why they should give us options. You should be able to turn off the adaptive cruise control and have plain old regular Cruise like a normal vehicle. Cruise should simply increase throttle and keep you at the set speed and should let you Coast downhill and never apply the brakes.
It would be a very simple programming matter and one little switch on the dash or you getting glued it in the software for the set up with the other things on our displays in the menu today. Then you could have both types of cruise control.
Ummm...they do.

Go into the Settings Menu in the gauge cluster...scroll down to Cruise Control...select either Adaptive or Normal.

Go nuts.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was playing with the interval early this AM on an errand and this very thing happened with shortest interval set. Reinforced that I don't really like anything other than the largest interval for this feature. I did the exact same thing again on a sharper turn in similar conditions with the largest interval and it didn't happen. Not sure if interval defaults to highest or not, but, that is the only usable setting for me, I think! Otherwise I'm driving... [emoji12] Honestly, I think this feature is really good for light highway traffic on long drives. Wonder if you can put the adaptive cruise on/off menu on your configurable screen?

Real nice when it screws up isn't it? The problem is, OUR lives are at stake if it really messes up bad and causes some kind of accident. I'm just not volunteering to crash because of a computer. I'm far from the best driver, but I have a safe record, so I'll try to keep it that way! :).

It really scares the $hit out of you when someone is left turning in front of you and the computer senses the speed difference and can't understand that the car is turning and will be gone in 1 second, so it dynamites the brakes and you eat the steering wheel and the cars behind you end up nearly in your rear bumper!

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And to think I was pretty stoked the expedition had power windows...

Anyway, I had a rental out of town the other day and it was the first time I had driven something with lane keeping and crash detection/avoidance. I didn't even realize it was activated and kept feeling my steering wheel tugged when I got to close to the lines, or felt the brakes activate if I got to close to another vehicle. It really bothered me at first. After three days it still bugged me but I didn't seem to notice it as much.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, it's wasteful because it uses extra gas, but I rather like it for long stretches stop-and-go traffic. I still have to pay attention and watch for somebody cutting me off and am quick to over ride it with the gas or brake, but... it's kinda nice to just sit there and let the truck figure out when to slow down and how much, when to speed up and how much, and... I just don't have to think about if the car in front of me is rapidly accelerating to fill in a gap or if they're rapidly accelerating because traffic is clearing up. The ACC will do its thing and I might use a little more gas, but oh well.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
...so it dynamites the brakes and you eat the steering wheel and the cars behind you end up nearly in your rear bumper!

Haven't had this happen...yet. I've been using it more lately around town at lower speeds and it is reinforcing my use of that larger interval. Short interval seems good for on highway congested traffic, even used it pulling the camper and it was enough for me where I'll keep it on vs disabled. I'm sure I'll just get used to it... [emoji41] first world problems! [emoji12]

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360