First World Adaptive Cruise Control Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just made a 600 mile trip, mostly on I-10, and even in moderate traffic with the closest following distance I find the ACC unusable.

The ACC leaves just enough space for some ******* to rush up the right lane and squeeze in between me and the vehicle I’m following, in the fast lane, causing my vehicle to slow and increase the gap. This vicious cycle happened over and over for a good hour before I finally shut the SOB (ACC) off.

I’m sure they’ve calculated the following distance for safety reasons and for allowing the vehicle time to react to its surroundings but this is ridiculous.

Now, I wonder if there is a way in Forscan to reduce the following distance. I don’t think it would be too dangerous for an alert driver to reduce the gap by 1 vehicle length which would dissuade most drivers from trying to squeeze in the lane ahead.

Last edited:

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine does exactly the same as you say, so I shut mine all OFF the day I bought my expedition. Its a horrible PITA. Even my wife absolutely HATES it.
Its great for a texter that doesn't pay any attention. lol

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agree that ACC is most suited for light traffic where you can maintain a reasonable following distance. In those situations, it's not bad.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First World Adaptive Cruise Control Problems

That it exists....was my first thought when reading the title. LOL

I rarely bother with cruise. I just drive. I also can get better mileage than cruise if I am trying to maximize mileage. Some have tried to argue this with me. The same one who prob say you should use 5w-20 oil in a 1st,2nd gen and other vehicles because that is what Ford says (or rather- do you think you know more than the engineers that designed the vehicle?-)

The cruise has to maintain the speed and it gets there rather quickly. IF I am maximizing fuel, I go much easier on pedal and get there much slower AND I let it go as fast as it will downhills and let it slow uphills without giving it the gs to keep speed up.
Yeah---don't get behind me.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine gets a couple mpg better when I shut the cruise off too. The ridiculous cruise jams on the brakes and downshifts and all kinds of retarded things on every substantial downhill. Instead of taking the free downhill miles, it kills your momentum so you need throttle, sooooo stupid. Gotta love computers.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t mind it. I think it depends on the traffic. Atlanta is bad but I don’t find that people run up in front of me. It depends on the time of day, middle of the day drivers are far nicer than the morning or afternoon commuters. I only go into the city on occasion and never during the commuting times so my experience isn’t a good representation.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I find I just run my first world cruise differently/with the acc turned on...

1. I'm quick to cancel so I can coast if I think it's going to activate the brake when I don't want it to.

2. I usually don't use it to brake to a stop from being "at speed" as that's all happening a bit late for my liking.

3. For that ******* cutting in front situation, I find the largest gap is best and just let them go and revert to 1

YMMV

Rancidlunchmeat

2019 XLT FX4
Reaction score
To each their own, I guess. I happen to love it, but I don't use it under those conditions. If traffic is too heavy and the surrounding drivers are too aggressive, I'll use the gas pedal to increase speed and decrease following distance until the traffic thins out and I can get off the pedal and let the cruise take control again. It doesn't have anything to do with me texting, it has to do with the driving conditions.

GC2019

Reaction score
It works great in normal interstate driving. I love it. When it comes to traffic or in city interstate travel, I hate it.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just hate it period, because it always does something stupid whether its the brakes or throttle. Its more wasteful that my wifes driving. It can never anticipate whats "going" to happen, so it waits until something does happen and then it reacts and hammers down on the brakes or throttle. Totally wasteful. I haven't used it lately, but I'm sure it cuts a couple mpg in many situations. Maybe that's why everyones complaining about poor milage! lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire