Ford ESP Advice Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

larkja

Reaction score
Picked up a 2014 Expedition EL Limited with 95,000 a couple months ago. Decided not to go with the ESP at point of sale since it was so expensive - $3,000 for 24,000 for the Premium Care Plan.

Did some research and through lombardfordwarrantys.com, I can get the following (with a $200 deductible):
- 3 year Premium Care - $1,997
- 2 year Premium Care - $1,487
- 3 year Extra Care - $1,337
- 2 year Extra Care - $1,277

The truck is running like a champ and was purchased at a dealership where the previous owner serviced religiously every 5,000 to 7,000 miles. I don't have receipts, but Carfax shows all the service intervals at the local dealership.

Not too worried about the engine, tranny, etc, but there are a LOT of electronics that make me pause a bit. I drive ~ 10,000 miles per year, no commute.

Suggestions? What have you done and your experience with the Ford ESPs?

Thanks

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Picked up a 2014 Expedition EL Limited with 95,000 a couple months ago. Decided not to go with the ESP at point of sale since it was so expensive - $3,000 for 24,000 for the Premium Care Plan.

Did some research and through lombardfordwarrantys.com, I can get the following (with a $200 deductible):

The truck is running like a champ and was purchased at a dealership where the previous owner serviced religiously every 5,000 to 7,000 miles. I don't have receipts, but Carfax shows all the service intervals at the local dealership.

Not too worried about the engine, tranny, etc, but there are a LOT of electronics that make me pause a bit. I drive ~ 10,000 miles per year, no commute.

Thanks
Nothing.

OP
OP
L

larkja

Reaction score
I don't believe in those warranties and the general consensus is that they aren't worth it but I was a mechanic and that would make a difference.

I do a lot of my own maintenance too - oil, filters, brakes. But there are a lot of electronics. Had a 2003 Expy before this one and donated to charity at 200,000 miles. It ran like a champ with basic maintenance. But, there were a lot of electronic quirks that I could never track down and didn't want to spend the $$$ at the dealership to fix.

Thanks

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a well serviced truck, which is obviously the key. Take the two grand and set it aside if anything comes up unexpected in the next three years. At 10,000 miles a year, I highly doubt it. Keep in mind these extended warranty programs are very profitable because the vast majority of people who buy them don't end up needing them.

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I felt the same as you when I bought my '14 EL LTD w/80K. I was getting hammered with emails from that Lombard for ESP. I looked into it and there was a couple hundred dollar fee to get it inspected, and even then the ESP wasn't a given with them if it failed.

I went with my local Ford dealer (who is also a friend) and he did the inspection for free and I bought the ESP through him...about $1800 for a 4 yr/36K. With my mileage, I'll get the full four years. I've had the truck for over 1.5 years and have already had $1300 worth of ESP work done. I'm happy and it was peace of mind for me too...

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Thanks
I bought one of these from Lombard ford ($2k) for my 2004 Excursion 4x4 with the 6.0. It was worth every penny for that vehicle. Once ULSD was introduced across the nation, my engine took a complete dump. EGR problems, turbo clogging, oil and injector leaks, etc. All was covered under the 100,000 mile warranty.

ESP for a Expedition? Does it cover things like your cam phasers and timing chain guides & tensioners or are those "wear items"? The radio & sync modules are problems in most vehicles (if you want to stay stock when they fail). Otherwise, a good OBDII diagnostic tool (I have used FORscan) and a couple hours on youtube, you can diagnos most electronic sensor issues. Most are reletively "easy" to change out, depending on your mechanical and technical skill levels.

Does the ESP cover the A/C components? I have had 2 3rd gens with piss poor A/C and the local mom&pop shops couldn't fix them.