Ford Sync Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kartman

Reaction score
I have a late 2019 Expedition Platinum and have been battling vexing Ford Sync issues for the past couple of months. Hopefully someone can point me in a direction to get the problems resolved.

I am experiencing the following:

- Slow and ‘glitchy’ operation of the touch screen - this comes and goes. If I press a change from AM to FM for example, it can take a few seconds for the device to respond

- Spontaneous ‘freeze up’ - sometimes the unit will freeze on a screen and it is not until I shut off the Synch system that it will ‘unstick’ itself and start working again

- Spontaneous dropping and reconnection of Bluetooth connection. Phone calls, music, etc. will randomly work, then not work, then work again

After three visits to the dealer, the problem is still not resolved. They have performed master resets, ensured all software was current/up to date, that my settings allowed for software updates (they do) and ‘re-paired’ my all of the phones (two I-Phones) that I use with the vehicle.

I hope someone can help, as this really has me stumped. Thanks in advance for any help!

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a late 2019 Expedition Platinum and have been battling vexing Ford Sync issues for the past couple of months. Hopefully someone can point me in a direction to get the problems resolved.

I am experiencing the following:

- Slow and ‘glitchy’ operation of the touch screen - this comes and goes. If I press a change from AM to FM for example, it can take a few seconds for the device to respond

- Spontaneous ‘freeze up’ - sometimes the unit will freeze on a screen and it is not until I shut off the Synch system that it will ‘unstick’ itself and start working again

- Spontaneous dropping and reconnection of Bluetooth connection. Phone calls, music, etc. will randomly work, then not work, then work again

After three visits to the dealer, the problem is still not resolved. They have performed master resets, ensured all software was current/up to date, that my settings allowed for software updates (they do) and ‘re-paired’ my all of the phones (two I-Phones) that I use with the vehicle.

I hope someone can help, as this really has me stumped. Thanks in advance for any help!
To start, please post a picture of the Version Screen from your unit.

If, and that is a big if, your system is at the highest version, the dealer should have replaced the APIM long ago, after your 2nd or 3rd visit with these issues.

OP
OP
Kartman

Kartman

Reaction score
Hi LokiWolf… is this the screen information you need?

What is an APIM?

Thanks a million for your help!

Attachments

• 6689681D-8C0E-44D8-B76E-084B1A699978.jpeg
    6689681D-8C0E-44D8-B76E-084B1A699978.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 33

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi LokiWolf… is this the screen information you need?

What is an APIM?

Thanks a million for your help!
APIM = Accessory Protocol Interface Module

Basically it is the brains behind Sync and all it relates to.

You are not running the most current version yours will go to, just the highest the dealer thinks it will.

That being said. Based on your symptoms I would push it with the dealer to swap the APIM. Updating further “might” fix the issues, but if it doesn’t and you need to replace the APIM, dealer could say you broke it by updating it.

If you were under warranty the first time you reported the problem and they never resolved it they should cover it,.

dark_eyes

Reaction score
@Kartman I’m having the same problems with my 2018 Expy. I’m about to take it into the dealer. Did you get your problem resolved? If so, what was the fix? Thanks.

OP
OP
Kartman

Kartman

Reaction score
Hi dark-eyes, indeed I was able to resolve the synch issues thanks to LokiWolf! Below is a summary of his feedback, which I followed and was successful in addressing the Synch issues.

“That being said. Based on your symptoms I would push it with the dealer to swap the APIM. Updating further “might” fix the issues, but if it doesn’t and you need to replace the APIM, dealer could say you broke it by updating it.”

My dealer replaced the APIM no questions asked. I have not experienced any issues since.

Hope this helps!

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Loki's info is very helpful for me. I've had some pretty nasty experiences with the APIM lately.

JDorn

Reaction score
Does the APIM need to be programmed by Ford or is it something I can purchase and install myself? Ford just quoted me over $1000 for part and install. 2018 Exp Limited

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does the APIM need to be programmed by Ford or is it something I can purchase and install myself? Ford just quoted me over $1000 for part and install. 2018 Exp Limited
What are the issues?